S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

so im looking for opinions on roof racks. who has one, what kind, and what parts do i need for the

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so im looking for opinions on roof racks. who has one, what kind, and what parts do i need for the

for rack itself. i will get the parts to carry my bike and kayak later. Thule and Yakima sites are so hard to tell what exactly i need cuz they try to sell you everything. are there other options than either of those? i want it to look nice and not cost an arm and a leg.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't buy new. Yakima and Thule are great, but one does not trump the other.

You should do a search as there is a lot of info between these two.

I've had both and just about every attachment known to man. I'd have to say Yakima's towers are much better than Thules, but I love Thule mounts over Yakima. Specifically, Yakima's bike mounts absolutely suck. Thule's are far easier to use and much less finicky when adjusting for a new fork. So definitely don't get Yakima bike mounts.

Just about all the mounts from Thule and Yakima fit round or square bars. Round bars are nice for being able to rotate the ski mounts back and out of the way, but round bars are much noisier in the wind. They will resonate at specific speeds, so you need either a fairing (which I don't recommend) or the small foils that attach to each bar (from yakima).

So, they each have their strengths. I'd go Yakima towers and Bars with Thule bike and kayak mounts. I have Yak bars and will be selling my bike mounts to go back to thule.

And all this stuff is *very* durable. So check craigslist for the towers and bars, then order the fit kit for your car. ebay has good deals as well if you can't find the specific mount you want.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As for what you will need.....

The rack consists of a car specific fit kit, towers (things that hold up the bars) and the crossbars. The fit kit attaches to the towers and is the link between the towers and your car.

There are only a few kinds of towers. Ones for flat roofs (like what you have), gutters (old school), and cars with factory racks (what I have). Just use the fitment thing from each website and you will know what towers you need and what width crossbar you need. Then go to ebay or craigslist and find those things. The fitkit comes with the rubber feet that go under the tower, so don't buy that used... just pony up and get that new. You'll need 4 locks for the towers plus however many mounts you get.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:58 AM

Default With regards to Thule, you would need.....

3 basic parts for the Rack. these will cost you $299 new, but you should able to get them closer to $250 or less at an decent ski/bike shop.

* This is the bar kit (p/n LB50) <-- 50" bar, though it can be cut down if you don;t like the long overhang on the edges.
* the universal foot (p/n 400xt) <-- you can also still use the older 400 foot if you find used. the new fit kit still fits.
* and the fit kit that adapts the foot the specific vehicle (p/n 249) <-- this comes with 4 hooks to grab onto the side of the door frame, just above the rubber seal, and 4 rubber bases for the foot, to make them fit over the rain gutter channel. They also and designed front and back and also left and right to make the rack fit nice against the rounded roofline.

After you have these 3 pieces, you can start adding your required carriers. Each sport has so many different options that it would be up to you how you want to carry the items. Example, for bikes they offer: 3 options of front wheel off, front wheel on, front wheel on Big down tube, and a swing out version for easy loading....

another big deal is locks... You will need 4 for the rack alone, and than depending on how many carriers you want, you will buy them to be all keyed the same. Thule sells them in 2,4,6,8 and 10 packs.

A fairing is also another nice option for fuel economy if your going to leave it on full time. Personally though, for the 10 mins it takes to take it on and off, I don;t run one and just pull it off between trips.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wrinklely might know his racks, but what about sloppy "racks"? That's really his specialty.

I have yakima towers and bars and they couldn't get any simpler to use and the build quality is top notch.

I have ski/snowboard mounts that I haven't had any problems with. My Yakima cargo box has had some issues with the double hinge in the center that I'm not too stoked on though.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ha. Not so much as sloppy but droopy.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM

Default look on ebay for an auction like this.....

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Thule-400-Aero-Rack-System-50-Bars-Locks-key_W0QQitemZ140306400283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCyclin g_Parts_Accessories?hash=item140306400283&_trksid= p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A1 2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294% 3A50">hule-400-Aero-Rack-System-50-Bars-Locks-key</a>

the seller has the 400 feet and a set of bars, but no fit kit... After that you just pick up a 249 fit kit locally and your set.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think you nailed it. I've always had Yak but I think the Thule attachments are better now.

My yakima snowboard attachment sucks compared to the Thule ski/snowboard rack.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default my older ski racks worked good, but the new ones blow. If you put 4 boards in, it's so hard to open

and impossible to lock.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Always had great experience with Thule. Don't know about sedans but they have great feet

units for the load bars on Avants.

Quick Reply: so im looking for opinions on roof racks. who has one, what kind, and what parts do i need for the