S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Snow Driving - What's your preference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Driving - What's your preference?

For the sake of mindless banter - just curious how people set their car up for snow driving.

I was going to set up a poll - but am too lazy....

Do you always use ESP?

Never use ESP?

Only use ESP when in lots of traffic?

Only use ESP if especially icy?

Do you use snow tires? or all seasons?

I use snow tires - although they are not the most agressive snows as we typically actually only see a few days of real snow driving in Denver (been nice to have more so far this year!) - much fewer than most people think. I usually turn the ESP off in snow - unless I'm tired and/or in especially icy conditions with lots of traffic.

Brandon
'01 S4 - a few mods
'84 ur-quattro 20Vt - a gazillion mods
Old 12-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have all seasons and like to mix it up with ESP. I usually have it turned on unless I feel like kicking the back end out some.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snow tires and ESP unless I want to have fun in deep snow. I wouldn't want to use all-seasons during the summer, and summer tires are useless in even a tiny amount of snow, and all-seasons are not very good in anything more than a dusting, so it's definitely time for snow tires when the temps drop below 40.

All that said, she generally stays in the barn whenever there is salt on the roads.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

All seasons are fine in the snow. I have been using them for years and am an avid skier.

To your other point, the amount that summer tires are better than all seasons in the summer is not very great (a couple percent maybe). Check the pic below.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you have my all seasons. They are pretty much summer tires with deeper grooving. Total fail on my part for purchasing them a second round.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Which ones are they? My current ones are Bridgestone RE 960s. These are W rated M+S tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true

Bruce
Old 12-08-2009, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Toyo proxes 4. Infact I think I may have gotten the recomendation from here. But as you can see from the tread, they just don't hold any winter potential. They avoid hydroplaning really well on the interstate though.

PS they used to have better snow rating, but clearly that was before any one drove them in the snow. There new customer snow rating of 1.4 seems fitting.

Last edited by complacentsee; 12-08-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

it was snowing today. I can acelerate like a **** thanks to quattro. Stopping feels like trying to stop a freefalling tank with an army man parachute.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default don't use esp... just sensible winter driving

Always used ultra high performance dedicated winter and summer. Switched to all season ultra high after moving to try state area. Unless you leave in Alberta, Quebec or hilly areas up north covered with ice and snow... some of the ultra/high performance all season is pretty good for daily drive... the quarto does an amazing job within limits. Key is sensible winter driving. For track it makes sense to have dedicated tires. Then again I don't street race.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

not much snow around these parts, but I've had good experience driving up to Snowshoe in WVa on the Kuhmo Ecsta ASX (Pretty sure these are an all-season W rated)

Quick Reply: Snow Driving - What's your preference?