S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Poll: What would you guys HONESTLY do in this situation? It's been asked before but I'll ask again

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is my friend's story....

He has a GTI about to race with a Honda on a freeway. 3 honks and they are about to go. All of a sudden he saw flashes from behind. It was a white unbadged Ford expedition (lights are mounted inside of the car) Since he has already started, he continued with it, beat the Honda, took off in the next exit and actually escaped from it. (lucky him)

For me, I probably would not try my luck, so I'll slow down and see what the cop is going to do next.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Here's what I did

Not exactly racing, but I was slowly building speed with a guy on the freeway. Got to about 95, and saw them cop lights coming up FAST from behind. I slowed down and pulled over as the other guy kept going. Mr. policeman blew past me and went ahead to get the other guy. I pulled over for a sec, watched the action drive away, and got back on the freeway.

I think Mr. NASA is correct; I was avoiding, but the other guy looked like he was evading.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:22 PM

Default Ever notice how people on COPS can't run fast enough to get away...

...cause they wear pants with waist lines below their $#%& butt, and end up tripping over themselves when their pants fall down.

Seems like a silly fashion statement for folks who commonly find themselves evading the law.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:25 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bwahahahahahah!!!
Old 01-31-2003, 01:27 PM

Default Depends...

If the cop is far enough behind that it would be plausible to state that you didn't notice him or you thought he was going after someone else, then I'd slow down to the legal limit and take the next turn (nice, easy, normal turn--not a powerslide!) Hopefully, my buddy would continue on and do the same. After the turn (and out of direct sight of the cop) I'd speed up a bit to put a little distance between us. Once the cop makes the turn, I'd try the same thing again if he's still a ways back. If not, I'd stay at the legal limit until he was right behind me and it was obvious that he wants me to pull over.

If the cop is closer when I first notice him, I'd slow down to the limit right away and wait until he's behind me and I'm certain it's me he wants to pull over. I'd then pull over and be really polite and cooperate with the officer. Maybe if my buddy decides that he'll try to lose the cop, the cop will decide he'd rather chase down the guy running away and forget about me.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:34 PM

Default hilarious story (little long)

please spare the "you shouldn't have done it" responses. my friend did it out of pure stupidity and he would never do it again.

in west la, 3 am, saturday night, on sunset blvd driving towards the beach, my friend stops at a red light, on the bridge overpass with the 405. a jetta lines up, light turns green, and they race a little. i think the speed limit was 45, so they were going like 65-70. it was practically deserted with very low traffic. so after a couple of minutes, there is section where a looong constant-radius curve around the side of a hill takes place. after they both take the turn, my friend found himself in the following scenario:

- 100 feet ahead there was a T intersection, green light for him.
- on the left corner, there were 10-15 people with candles and flowers praying, seems like there had been an accident in that corner a week ago.
- a police patrol car with his headlights on sitting next to the people.

so my friend, out of sudden fear of not knowing what to do, pulls his hand brake up. the reason was so that his break lights wouldn't turn on, and this usually works if you pull the hand brake a small amount whilst going at high speeds. it happens that my friend pulled it a little harder than usual, locking his rear wheels.

so like a funny episode in a cartoon, he goes through the intersection, with locked rear wheels, smoke comming out of everywhere, screaching like there is no tomorrow, right infront of the cop, and all the people turn around and watch the whole thing.

he ends up maybe 50-75 feet past the intersection, now going about 50mph. so blood is spurting out of his nose and his heart is pumping 400 bpm, he looks in the rear view mirror and sees the cop turn on this roof lights. he drops it into second and guns it. he can hear the siren, maybe 10-20 seconds behind him, but the blvd is curvy, so he keeps going a litttle, and on the first intersection, turns off his lights and makes a right.

he keeps driving with his lights off at 30-40mph and can hear the cops sirens faiding away as the cop passes the intersection. now, as if that wasn't retarded enough, he keeps driving with his lights off and makes another right. after a while, he makes one more right, and he ends up at another T intersection that was at viewing distance from the intersection where the people were praying. so the idiot ends up almost in the same intersection where the whole incident took place a few minutes ago.

so as to not look any more suspicious, he turns on his xenon lights infront of these people, making them turn around to see him... so he makes a left, guns it and parks and hides in a closeby residencial for an hour, trying to control his heart beat, a terrible pounding headache, while praying for forginess.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Take the next exit if possible.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:39 PM

Default Honestly,

In a car, and with all the traffic on the roads today, its alot tougher to pull off, and alot more dangerous.

To try and run from the cops here in Socal, your chances of getting away are very low, and the chance for error is high. Bad odds dictate pulling over is the smart choice.

Now someplace like a backroad in FL,UT,TX, little chance of encountering ANY other traffic over the next several miles......well: that is a speed contest my friend! You versus the COP. Again, I'm not condoning...just "saying".

15 to 20 years ago, you might have had decent enough odds to risk going for it. Nowadays, low probability of success, and the penalties are way too high. IF you get away with it, chalk it up to luck; and tell no one about it.

IMHO
Old 01-31-2003, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've always thought the exact same thing. When they are in basketball shorts and wife beaters, they

always get away, unless they're drunk and fall down or the popo gots the ghetto bird out there with the Wooo-WHooo
Old 01-31-2003, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

omg, what a dumbass. haha

Quick Reply: Poll: What would you guys HONESTLY do in this situation? It's been asked before but I'll ask again