S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Oil leak ideas ( a little smoke noticed before and after running)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak ideas ( a little smoke noticed before and after running)

Apparently I have an oil leak. I have started to notice a few oil spots on the ground under the front of the car. On closer inspection it looks like the drips are dropping out on the drivers side somewhere between the transmission and the oil pan. today i noticed a bit of smoke coming from the drivers side and when i opened the hood it seemed to be coming from lower in the engine.. My oil level is hanging fairly steady and so is the coolant level... I had a test on the coolant done and that checked out ok... My aux pump is also good (inspected it with a probe with a light and a camera on the end).. So I am thinking the smoke is coming from an oil leak dripping onto a hot surface.

Any ideas on the prominent locations of oil leak location? any tales of similar issues?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check out this resource (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...light=oil+leak). I think it's pretty good.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have all the same symptoms on my '01 with 130k. It seems like something drips onto an exhaust part while sitting overnight and when the car heats up it burns off. A bit of an oil smell once I pull into the garage as well and about one drop on the garage floor every other night or so.

The link provided by monso1jm is helpful but I was not able to see the portions of the engine they show to help with the leak identification (not willing to pull the engine just to get a good view). If I could get a good diagnosis I would tackle the repair but I am afraid to start fixing stuff that is not broken.

My timing belt is young and cam seals were replaced once early on. What about yours? If you need to do the work anyway, the kit offered seems like a good route. I'm afraid I will be living with it until I get a better idea of what to fix. I took some photos during my last oil change but have not posted becase they are not great, maybe now is the time to get some additional eyes on them.