S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Official DIY 2000 Audi S4 LCD Instrument Cluster Pixel Repair "No Hot Air Rework Station Needed"

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great tutorial! I just successfully transplanted the LCD in my '01 allroad. I wasn't able to find any markings indicating where the new screen was manufactured, but the connecting pads on the ribbon cable broke away from the ribbon with very little heat. Ended up using a needle to hold the pads straight while soldering.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I wonder why anyone would dork with this anymore when you can have it fixed with a lifetime warranty from Module Masters for $150?

http://modulemaster.com/en/services/...t_clusters.php
Old 10-18-2011, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Ragdoll
I wonder why anyone would dork with this anymore when you can have it fixed with a lifetime warranty from Module Masters for $150?

http://modulemaster.com/en/services/...t_clusters.php
Maybe because people also live outside of the USA. It is true you know. Also the satisfaction of completing a job yourself is much more rewarding and also enlightening if you gain knowledge through the process.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default thanks for the module master link

thanks for the module master link... fortunately, i live in the US. unfortunately, i have a failing center panel on my 2002 TT.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Almost there...

I just attempted to replace my LCD, I was very careful, tinned all the connectors, put in the replacement eBay LCD and re-assembled the unit.

The initial OK message with average MPG came up perfectly and I had a happy moment... then when the centre of the LCD containing the temperature kicked in (after the OK message) the whole LCD became corrupted.

When I do a display test (pressing the left clock-adjuster) the display is corrupt whenever info is displayed in the centre section of the screen, when the MPH bit towards the end of the test is shown it is all fine.

Seems I am really close to fixing this, but I'm gonna have to strip it all down again and I guess I will have to try running the solder iron across the the connectors - I'm guessing there is some kind of electrical leakage between one or more of the pins.

Does this sound like the right assumption to make? Has anyone else hit this problem or have any advice for me?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Fixed!

By contacting Tektronics who are based in Herefordshire in the UK and supplied me with the LCD I have now got a fully working LCD!

The guy there was fantastic - helped me over and over with email support over the xmas and new year period.

The LCD looks great, on my 1998 B5 it looks to me just like the original part.

Anyone looking for a UK based supplier of these panels in my experience can't go far wrong with this eBay seller. He offers a fitting service too and in my experience is extremely trustworthy.

Here's the link on eBay to the seller if anyone is interested http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/tektronics_co_uk

The listing for the LCD I bought is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120782340922
Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fingers123
I just attempted to replace my LCD, I was very careful, tinned all the connectors, put in the replacement eBay LCD and re-assembled the unit.

The initial OK message with average MPG came up perfectly and I had a happy moment... then when the centre of the LCD containing the temperature kicked in (after the OK message) the whole LCD became corrupted.

When I do a display test (pressing the left clock-adjuster) the display is corrupt whenever info is displayed in the centre section of the screen, when the MPH bit towards the end of the test is shown it is all fine.

Seems I am really close to fixing this, but I'm gonna have to strip it all down again and I guess I will have to try running the solder iron across the the connectors - I'm guessing there is some kind of electrical leakage between one or more of the pins.

Does this sound like the right assumption to make? Has anyone else hit this problem or have any advice for me?

Thanks.
Just a thought, when I did mine, I put it back in, and disappointment. Everything was all messed up still. I took it apart and plugged it in without the front glass in... Whenever I pressed the metal part that encloses the odometer/date and time clocks, with my finger, everything was fine. Turns out that the metal bracket that holds these screens down, wasnt pressed in all the way.. maybe try that, it worked for me! Hope you are just as lucky. haha.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default LCD fix

Hey guys, I had my newest B5 s4's LCD fixed by a guy from up around Chicago, he was really great to work with, he texted me, sent me video's, emailed me back quickly, and had a very quick turn around time. Here is his ebay listing, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A4-S4-A...sories&vxp=mtr , but I think it's the best and fastest way to get your LCD fixed right. He also cleans everything, and recalibrates your gauges perfectly. Well worth the money.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for great instructions!

Here is supplier for high quality OEM display:
OEM display

There is also Chinese version but don't buy it. Chinese displays are really crappy!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by donromani
Modulemasters does it for $120 - the website says the parts are on back order ETA 2 weeks. http://www.modulemaster.com/en/servi...t_clusters.php
I would certainly recommend Modulemaster if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. They rebuilt my ABS unit. Great service top notch outfit.

Last edited by Laser Red In Raleigh; 02-04-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Official DIY 2000 Audi S4 LCD Instrument Cluster Pixel Repair "No Hot Air Rework Station Needed"