S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Metra Dash Kit 99-9105 Pioneer AVIC D3 X-Post

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metra Dash Kit 99-9105 Pioneer AVIC D3 X-Post

<HR style="COLOR: #fff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->installing a Pioneer D3 in my 2000 S4. Have everything to the job but have one question. How can you ever remove this dash kit. It snaps in but no way to get at the tabs to ever release them? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM

I wondered that too while installing mine.

I think you could probably unhook the clips with a screwdriver or something similar.

PS, I love my D3, but the iPod integration is one of the worst UIs I've EVER seen. I can't believe how poor it is.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing i thought, i cut my tabs so i can take it out. I didnt see any other way than destroy it.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by .jacob
I wondered that too while installing mine.

I think you could probably unhook the clips with a screwdriver or something similar.

PS, I love my D3, but the iPod integration is one of the worst UIs I've EVER seen. I can't believe how poor it is.
You should see the D2 Ipod interface if you think the D3 is bad. Thanks for the response. Wow if i cut the tabs what holds the unit in place?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 AM
BRK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do a search... I posted a detailed DIY.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BRK
Do a search... I posted a detailed DIY.
A DIY how to modify the the dash kit so you can actually take it out? Your going to have to help me I can't find that. Hell, I just got off the phone with Metra and they don't know. You can't use the double din cage with this dash kit. You have to screw the plastic side brackets directly to the D3. These brackets lock to the inside edge of the face plate. So once its snapped in no way (or slots) to get any kind of tool in to release the hold clips.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iNfiNkC
same thing i thought, i cut my tabs so i can take it out. I didnt see any other way than destroy it.
how did you keep the face plate in place with the tabs cut?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Laser Red In Raleigh
You should see the D2 Ipod interface if you think the D3 is bad. Thanks for the response. Wow if i cut the tabs what holds the unit in place?
You should see the D1, seriously, I have the 1st gen of the iPod integration. That's pretty much useless, slow and impossible to use with 30GB of MP3s.

Soon I will be in the market for a newer player, something with Bluetooth, of course Nav/GPS, double din format, DVD playback, fast iPod interface, higher preamp output (4v/5v) and Sirius/XM ready.

How are the new Kenwood eXcelon, Pioneer, Eclipse, Alpine?

Last edited by S4 SOM; 03-18-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4 SOM
You should see the D1, seriously, I have the 1st gen of the iPod integration. That's pretty much useless, slow and impossible to use with 30GB of MP3s.

Soon I will be in the market for a newer player, something with Bluetooth, of course Nav/GPS, double din format, DVD playback, fast iPod interface, higher preamp output (4v/5v) and Sirius/XM ready.

How are the new Kenwood eXcelon, Pioneer, Eclipse, Alpine?
I have the D2 in my ML and love it less the ipod interface. The D3 interface isn't bad and the nav and audio portion is great. They are going very cheap on ebay. I picked mine up with a blue tooth module for $350.00. They also look great in our cars as you can match the amber lighted buton color perfectly. check out www.avic411.com great forum.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It really is not that bad. The kit is held under pressure from all side of the dash. you can easily pull the kit out without damanging it. ive done it before.

Quick Reply: Metra Dash Kit 99-9105 Pioneer AVIC D3 X-Post