S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

So my K03's are on their way out : ( (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my K03's are on their way out : ( (long)

Well, I think it's now happened to me.....MTM software with 45,000 miles on the S4. about 8,000 with the MTM in. I've had the S4 since 24,000 miles and it came from a good prior owner. Always used Mobil 1 0W-40 and changed it every 5,000 miles. Always did proper warm-up and cool-downs. I really think that I should have had a MBC as this would have perhaps helped from this happening. I could have kept the boost at 16.5 psi or so. As many know, MTM hits 19.2 psi fairly easy. But the MBC is a whole different thing to talk about.

You've got to "pay to play" as the B5 S4 saying goes.

STORY:

Last night while driving home, hit the gas a little, and heard what sounded like a loud electronic "eeeeeek" and I had NO boost. Like as if I was trying to accelerate with the brakes on. Tried it once more, and got a high-speed high-volume whistle. Could this be the "dentist drill sound" I ask? No smoke coming out the exhaust...no check engine light....car drove fine less the boost. Two weeks prior did some logs, and data looked great, even stated so by Doc himself. So It's pretty safe to say I have no leaks.

So I pull over into a large parking lot, and have the S4 idle for a minute...popped to hood and revved the engine a few times....got the loud "eeeek" a few times.

"Well, I've got to get this thing home" (about 4 miles from where I was at)

On my way home, the S4 would not boost at all. I hit the gas a few times and kept getting the "eeeeek!" sound....so I calmed it down. No heavy acceleration.
So I'm thinking I'm in "limp mode" and/or the turbo(s) are toast.

On my way home, I decided to call DocSlow for an opinion on what's going on. He doesn't live too far from me, so we decided to meet up for him to hear/experience this.

On my way to meet Doc, I got all my boost back, and the S4 drives like it always had....but I've now got that loud siren sound. (like the cold-morning whistle the turbos make, but with a microphone up to it and amplified x10) It's there....loud, clear and very obvious.

Hooked up the VAG and got no error codes, everything checked OK. O2 sensors working, MAF reading are nice under boost, Boost is 100% there.

The noise I was getting while parked and revving the engine disappeared. Doc, thought I was going crazy, thinking that I was hearing things. But when we got on the road, and hit the gas a good amount, there was the loud whistle cop siren sound. It's not there with 8 or 9 PSI boost, but anything over that and it's there. Doc took a look at the VAG readings and said readings looked great.

Anyhow, I guess this is the "dentist drill sound" everyone talks about. Going to have to get the K04's now.....probably at ECS Tuning and I'll have them do the install as well.....anyone use these guys for this type of work...can you PLEASE post your experiences with them.

This is what I'm thinking I'm going to need to have it done properly:

ECS RS4 KO4 complete kit
Turbo drain line/hose-Left
Turbo drain line/hose-Right
Turbo oil feed line-Left
Turbo oil feed line-Right
RS4 clutch
RS4 motor mounts
5-bar fuel pressure reguator
MBC

Doc recommended me to get a manual boost controller (now you tell me man!)

Well, any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default mod list looks good. You could do the timing belt whilst the motor is out -- depending on what

their additional labor would be.

Congratulations, k03s blow as much as they suck.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

why are you getting the oil lines?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

the inlets are a good idea, the outlets aren't really needed unless they aren't clean.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:53 AM
Rest In Peace

Don't forget about DPs, especially if the engine will be out.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:02 AM

Default Damn Patrick ... sorry to hear that. Timing belt for sure. PIGGIE PIPES or other DP's. What about ..

The RS4 IC's?

I'm personally going to wait on those until later. Definately do the DP's now though! )

Port, polished + coated exhaust manifolds?

Resurfaced stock flywheel?

Well ..... it's bitter sweet I know, but you will be happy in the end I'm sure!

Call me if you need moral support!
Old 09-22-2004, 07:03 AM

Inlets on a 2000 are smaller than subsequent years. I'm doing them for sure when my turb's go BOOM!
Old 09-22-2004, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FYI...

Midrange boost spikes really aren't that hard on the turbos.

Redline at 12 psi spins them much faster.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You also should look at the Induktion lines. If you coat your d/ps and go w/o the heatshields you

can remove the oil lines w/o removing the turbos. Pretty sweet, IMO.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

how much are the oil inlet pipes?

Quick Reply: So my K03's are on their way out : ( (long)