S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

I've tried and tried to get up the nerve to do 3,500 RPM hold launches, but just can't...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've tried and tried to get up the nerve to do 3,500 RPM hold launches, but just can't...

It seems like that method would be more abusive on the clutch than catching the revs on the up swing and engaging the clutch while getting on the throttle in one motion. Maybe I'm just flat out wrong and being an **** retentive numb nut, but I just can't get over engaging the clutch while giving steady throttle to hold 3,500 RPM.

Needless to say, I gave up on the RPM hold launch technique and practiced a couple upwsing launches tonight. I was a bit hesitant to engage at too high an RPM, but it still worked out better than no launch at all. Maybe if/when I make it out to the strip, I'll be a bit more aggressive with this technique.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Your clutch is much stronger than your mind.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:56 PM

Default That's not saying much, supports my theory that the clutch can't take RPM hold technique. ;-p

You're probably right. I believe my clutch can take more abuse than the 996TT's stocker and I've put that thing through hell with 5,000-6,000 RPM upswing launches without even a hint of slippage. Then again, I wouldn't try the RPM hold technique on that car either.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Huh.... I have done ten 4000rpm hold launches in a morning at the track, stg. 2+ stock clutch

and didn't have any problems or slippage. That **** launches like crazy doing that, too.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:03 PM

So you hold RPMs at 4,000 and drop clutch while never taking your foot off the gas? <cringe>
Old 10-29-2006, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default umm they are doing something similar, 4K RPM and they are flooring it and side stepping the clutch

on the other hand, you can hold it to 4K and when it's time to lift off the clutch your automatically going to be launching on the upswing, unless your timing is soo well horrible
Old 10-29-2006, 09:11 PM

Default I don't understand "flowing it" in the context....

So they do or do not ever take pressure off the gas while engaging the clutch?

I like the idea of upswing revving technique because at least how I've seen it performed, you'are geting on the gas while engaging the clutch and if perfectly timed you are on the gas full throttle right as you engage the clutch but not before so no burning of clutch.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hold RPMs at 4k with the slight amt. of throttle necessary, and at the proper moment simultaneously

let out the clutch and ease into the gas. I really can't explain it because everything happens so fast when doing this in an AWD car, I just know that it's not a clutch 'drop' - I'm not just sidestepping the clutch and mashing the gas - there's a definite element of control involved. With the engine turning that many RPMs you can't ease out the clutch or drop it, you have to let up the pedal with the right speed so that the clutch engages fully without slipping and propels the engine speed to the wheels. At the same time, you can feed in some gas, and by the time the clutch is fully engaged you're WOT. It happens in the blink of an eye... All I know is that I haven't had any issues doing it repeatedly.

The very first time I was in my car, I was in the passenger seat and the previous owner was driving. He wanted to show me how hard the car could launch and ended up smoking the clutch by not letting it out fast enough. It slipped so bad he could hardly get the car to move for a few seconds until the disk and plate had cooled down. I've never had that happen while driving.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:21 PM

Maybe my car is weird, but it defintely requires more than a slight amount of throttle to hold 4,000
Old 10-29-2006, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i find this thread funny..im more of inbetween u all. I start at around 4000rpms..

*** i begin to slip the clutch, i pin the throttle, usually at about 4600rpm when fully let out. Stock clutch, 1.79-1.82 60' stock car

Quick Reply: I've tried and tried to get up the nerve to do 3,500 RPM hold launches, but just can't...