S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

ICELINK question....

Old 11-20-2004, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ICELINK question....

Yes did the STFA...anybody know if there is any difference to the Radio End connection or the The CD Changer connection? Any sound quality difference? Denison doesnt like answering questions.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default i opted for the HU, a lot less wires to run.

as far as i know, they work the same.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are a few differences.

You should wait a few weeks for them to officially release the 1.2 version. I have it in my car right now and I actually think it sounds better, plus it should prove more reliable because it is better designed. Also it only comes in behind the head unit version.

Background on 1.1 (looked like this)

RADIO--->CAR adapter---->ICELINK---->CRADLE--->IPOD
The "car adapter" in this version actually acted as a common denominator so that both the icelink and radio could talk to each other. The icelink was a genericly programmed unit that interpretted "genericly translated" messages from the car adapter.

Another difference is that there were 2 versions of the 1.1, and I have used a few different units of both versions (5 icelinks in all) and found that I prefered the headunit connecting version because it worked with Nav+(and normal symphony II) whereas the trunk connector did not work well at all with Nav+. These 2 units are both "1.1" because they connect as pictured above but its the car adapter that is technically made by 2 different companies and as mentioned above performed differently.

Version 1.2 looks like this

RADIO---->ICELINK---->CRADLE--->IPOD

In version 1.2, the firmware of the Icelink unit itself actually understands audi "code".

I think version 1.2 sounds better and should be more reliable. I don't believe 1.2 is shipping yet but when it does, It will only be a radio connect version.

p.s If you have a cell phone connected to your stereo with the mute function setup, be aware that My biggest issue is that the Kit has problems pausing the ipod itself when the phone rings. Once they go back and add the 'mute code" into the 1.2 firmware, this problem should be gone (crossing fingers).
Old 11-21-2004, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lou, with the Audi 1.2 interface can you tell where you are on the iPod track/group/song-wise?

I'd like to do this with my Nav+ and have considered the Phatnoise as well, think the iPod is much more versitile obviously but the interfaces into the head are weak at best. I do not want to see the thing in the cabin when installed.

Don't mind giving up the CD changer if neccessary(still have the DVD player). MP3s on the DVD player are ok but you are limited to CD capacities on the unit I have, plus you have to use the remote if you want to bounce around vs th head buttons.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well....

With a 3rd gen ipod, it is impossible to know where you are in the ipod. HOWEVER

With the new 4th gens released last week, the 60gb color screen version I "hear" has video out. No one has done this yet, but i am curious to run the video out into nav+ video input However, the icelink would not work in this occaision because you can't view the video source while listening to cd changer source (IF I AM WRONG THEN IT SHOULD WORK)

But I find that when you are driving you don't need to see the ipod. I hid mine away (see link) and NEVER look at it, at lights, ill pop it out and change playlists or genres, but for the most part I listen to my entire collection on random and I'm VERY happy with it.

1.2 offers no NEW features.<ul><li><a href="http://www.pbase.com/bruck/navplus/">My Nav+ and Ipod Install</a></li></ul>
Old 11-22-2004, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default a few questions for you...

You have the exact setup i have done to the ipod mounted on a phone craddle!! well at least until i installed my NAV+

1- can i get versin 1.2 now?
2- was it difficult to intall into the back of the HU?
3- do you know if my v1.1 would be upgradable to v1.2?

thanks! i really miss driving without my i-pod btu i love the nav+
Old 11-22-2004, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default answers

1 - yes call a tech over at dension (tom or chase) and ask them to send you a 1.2 in exchange for your 1.1. Tell them your nav+ doesnt work with your 1.1 (because you have the trunk connector).

2 - VERY easy. They have a harness already made, its plug/play (well you have to unscrew one bolt behind the stereo(any bolt) and ground the icelink ground wire, then you plug/play.) MUCH easier than installing nav+ only a bit harder than actually removing the stereo from the dash.

3- FYI, the HU connector version of 1.1 would have worked with your car, but you should go to 1.2 for design,reliability and less parts reasons. Honestly space is tight back there and the less parts included in the kit, the less crap you have to find space for. Plus I think 1.2 sounds better than 1.1 (bass response)
Old 11-22-2004, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You are a scholar and a gentleman...Thanks
Old 11-22-2004, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default p.s. You may want to wait 2 weeks

If you use a phone connected to your radio, the 1.2 currently does not have the mute/pause command linked, so the stereo mutes but the ipod keeps playing. Tom is working on this for me and claims to be sending a revised unit in 2 weeks.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default no phone so i'll see if i can get this one...

i have a 6 hr road trip coming up on thursday.. hopefully i can get this overnighted to me today!

thanks again for the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ICELINK question....