S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

HOW TO: Install a clutch slave cylinder the right way the first time

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO: Install a clutch slave cylinder the right way the first time

I had to replace my clutch slave today due to a F***up (I accidentally broke it while working on the shifter rod).

I was very worried about installing it crooked and blowing the slave up in the tranny during bleeding.

I also had a very hard time getting the slave compressed into the tranny - I was working from underneath the car with engine and transmission in place - and came up with an idea that worked perfectly. If done properly it should guarantee success.

All I did was get a piece of flat string. It's called 'lacing' and we use it in my job to secure wiring bundles on helicopters. Normal string could work but the thinner and wider the better. The lacing is 1mm thin or so and about 4-5mm wide.

Tie a loop of string and compress the slave cylinder so that you can hook the string over both the tip and the back end of the slave and it will hold the slave cylinder compressed. The lacing is good for this because it is wide enough to keep from slipping off of the thin, curved end of the slave that goes against the shift fork.

With the slave compressed like this and lightly lubed with silicone grease, you can slip it right in place in the tranny and bolt it up without having to try and get it in at an angle and compress it (this adds too many variables which is why it's so easy to get it in crooked and mess up)

After it's in place, you can cut the string loop, grab it with a pair of needle-nose pliers, and pull it out. The rod will pop straight forward, perfectly into the end of the clutch fork. Done! Hook up the line and bleed the system.

Keywords for stfa: clutch slave cylinder master transmission bleeding diy how to guide
Old 11-01-2008, 05:49 AM

bravo! i've got (what i believe to be) a dying slave and i've been sweating the R&R. Thx = )
Old 11-01-2008, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well thought out..nicely done
Old 11-01-2008, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

what are the symptoms of dying slave?