S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

HELP... I think I just F***ed myself & broke slave cylinder!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP... I think I just F***ed myself & broke slave cylinder!

Today leaving work my shifter suddenly felt very loose, then let go completely - no gears at all - i knew it was the shifter linkage on the tranny. Fortunately I was close to a lift at work and some friends helped me push it on. I was able to tighten the nut on the end of the shift fork after removing the LH cv shield. In doing this I must have forced the tool against the slave cylinder because when I got back in the car the shift gates were all back and perfect but when I pushed in the clutch it went to the floor... and brake fluid pooling under the car

I have it up on a lift right now and can see the slave on the end of a mirror but I can't see any damage or cracks on it, just brake fluid coming down the tranny case.

I did a clutch swap myself by pulling the engine and tranny in March and it was the biggest job I have ever done on a car, I really don't want to have to pull the front end again to change this slave cylinder!! What can I do?? I fixed my simple problem but f***ed myself over by getting overambitious with the socket wrench!!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yup I must have tweaked the bleed valve

I think I can see a crack on the side of the slave. I must have pushed the socket wrench against the bleed valve on the slave cylinder while trying to crank that shifter nut on there tight. I am such an IDIOT.

I guess my question is, is it possible to remove and reinstall the slave underneath the car or do I have to pull the engine forward again!? This has to be the single hardest part in the car to replace!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you should be able to get to it by removing the left drive shaft and heat shield.

from there unscrew the 5 bolts and remove left transmission support with the mounting. IIRC there is 1 bolt on the slave that you need to unscrew and then work it down.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: you should be able to get to it by removing the left drive shaft and heat shield.

OK this looks a bit more manageable than pulling the engine forward... At least I can leave the car here at work and do it on a lift instead of having to get the car towed home again. Am I going to need a transmission jack in order to remove that transmission mount and mount support? I don't remember about the axle, can it be removed from the car with the engine and tranny all in place (or do you just disconnect the 6 bolts on the inboard side to make room to pull the slave)? Any help is very much appreciated, I am STFA my *** off right now and unfortunately not finding any help about replacing the slave from underneath the car.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was able to get to mine only removing the axle shield. However, I did it on jackstands which may

have made contorting to reach it easier.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You removed it completely and installed a new one this way?

If so that is even better. This is looking better all the time. I know it is going to suck no matter what but the less stuff I have to disconnect the better.

The car is on a lift right now (the kind of lift you drive all 4-wheels onto, not a 4-post lift) so I can get right under the car and work.

May I ask how long it took you?

I am still frantically STFA for as much info as I can get, hopefully I can fix this in the next 2 days or so if I can get parts.

Thank you!!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hardest part about the job is getting the new cylinder in and aligned properly.

I ended up having to install a second new one, the first one didn't seat against the clutch arm inside the housing. It exploded when I was bleeding it. If it weren't for that the whole process probably took about 3-4 hours for me.