S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

EPL overcharging for custom tunes.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPL overcharging for custom tunes.

More info on this here- http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178080

Hello everyone,

I am putting together a hybrid k04/rs6 car. I had been in contact with Tony at EPL about a custom tune and was all ready to leave a deposit on a date until i was told how they are going to charge me. They have told me it is going to cost 500 for a custom tune. This was absoutely fine and i think would have been a fair price. When i was about to leave a deposit they all of the sudden told me that it was going to cost me 1600.00 for just a tune. No parts and no manual labor for any parts i have. The whole time that i wa sin contact with them(about a month) they reccomended buying their fuel kit(obviously) but i didnt think that was necessary so i said no thank you to that. They told me if i bought their ful kit i would be given a free custom tune, still no thank you. They then said ok, well the sustom tune would be $500 then. When i was ready to pay that over the phone they told me that 500 was only going to be a deposit and the total would actually be 1600. I have every part of the fueling kit pieced together already(exact same parts they use.) So for me to go there and have my car tuned they are asking for 1600. Does this sound a little rediculous to anyone else but me. In the end i dont think this pricing is anywhere near what it should be and am having someone else very dependable do the tuning for me(dont want to say a name but if he wants he will post) for false advertising and for trying to rip me off the way they did.

I dont mean to start a fight or talk the company down and i do hope they respond to this thread and possibly explain to me why their price is so outrageous but i do want to let people know to watch out when you leave a deposit because if i hadnt asked why i need a 500.00 deposit on a supposedly 500.00 job i would have lsot my money or been forced to pay the rediculous price they were asking of me.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:53 AM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is the guy tuning it in long island? also the custom tune has always been like that

its a business move ... same reason why ASP will only sell rs6 turbos in a full kit and not by themselves ... also some mechanic shops will not let you bring your own parts (because they make money selling you the part)

sure it sucks, but thats the way it is. if you dont like it, go elsewhere :/
Old 12-18-2007, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

*grabs popcorn* You're not gonna find many people here that think poorly of EPL.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i hear spp does custom tuning that's just as proven as tony epl's, perhaps

they could cut you a deal?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: is the guy tuning it in long island? also the custom tune has always been like that

Exactly what i did. I am going elsewhere unless their prices are better. I think they do great work on tuning cars and had seemd to be good people up until this happened. If thier prices were a bit more on the fair side i think i would definetally use them for the tune.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:02 AM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Default "fair" is all relative. german cars are more expensive than WRXs ...

and it seems the entire market for euro cars is just more expensive in every regard. it sucks but thats the way it is.

i guess it sucks that you were expecting it to cost only 500. but its been known for a while that it has always been 500 on top of the normal base tune/fueling kit.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sounds like a miscommunication to me. Prob 500 for a custom tune PLUS the cost of their rs6 hybrid

stage 3 coded ecu.

Either way starting an account on another forum just to bad mouth a company is lame. Especially when it is over money that you didn't even spend.

Keep the BS on your kiddie forum.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:17 AM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

is that true? if so that wouldnt be cool ... but i guess we will never know
Old 12-18-2007, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default why does 1600 dollars sound ridiculous?

EPL's fueling kit costs $2100 and a custom tune is $500 dollars...that's a total of $2600 if you were to walk in the door of EPL today with ko4'd car on stock fueling.

It sounds like you have the injectors, rs4 accordian and MAF housing correct? That's $300 + $70 + $300 give or take...or $670 total. Subtract that from their normal fueling kit price of $2100 and you're left with $1430 (that's if you simply subtract what you have from thier kit price). So that leaves you with 1430 for JUST the encryption board, chip, and software right?

EPL was offering you a full custom tune for $1600 dollars (using your existing hardware) or for $2100 (including MAF housing, injectors, accordian...PLUS A FREE CUSTOM TUNE).

You're biting a gift horse in the mouth...EPL is actually saving you money by giving you the option to simply buy the kit (with free tune) or pro-rate the kit by only selling you the software and tune (for 1600).

If you want a 500 dollar solution buy a giac x chip, AVCR, MBC, vagcom, ecux....oh wait, that's not 500 dollars anymore. Pay to play sir.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You sure thats right? buy a fueling kit and get a $1600 custom tune for free?

Quick Reply: EPL overcharging for custom tunes.