S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Epic!! New S4 owner, got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nimmote
I would start with getting a decent OBDII code reader. You can get one from just about any auto parts store or even Walmart for about 60 to 80 bucks. Get one with a display and at least 5 or 6 buttons to be sure it will have enough menu options for you to diagnose with. When i had issues like yours, i was able to see that i was having cylinder misfires on lets say cylinder 5. so i cleared the code, and drove until the code came on again and it was cylinder 5 again, so there was my confirmation. Then i swapped the coilpacks between cylinders 5 and 6 and drove it again. then i was getting a misfire on cylinder 6. So, obviously the problem was coil pack in cylinder 6, so i ordered one from ECS tuning and everything was fine. Im not saying that u have a bad coil pack (you might), but definately get a code reader, you will need it!

So, I got an obd2 code reader but it wont link up with the S4.. says cant connect. You sure these things work with audi's?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Man your in way over your head. Yes OBDII reader should work just fine with Audis. I had a cheap $100 one from Kragen and it worked just fine. Check to see if anyone in Hawaii has a Vag-Com. Im sure someone does. Run that through the car and should tell you exactly what to do.

By the way, did you try what I told you a few posts earlier?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on, piggie was the only one born with a working knowledge of an S4.

He'll be fine with some time.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ccde77
is this a vagcom? found it in the glove box. where do I plug it in? Sorry im so clueless
that is the giac chip toggle device. depending on what functions the previous owner bought you can switch between at least stock and pump. to use it turn the ignition to battery and plug it in under the drivers side dash to the left of the steering wheel, press the selected mode and wait till the light is solid and then turn the engine on and it will be in the selected mode.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Check out this link for giac's instructional video on your flashloader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QIbS-oR0NM
Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by papuc (MMI S4)
Man your in way over your head. Yes OBDII reader should work just fine with Audis. I had a cheap $100 one from Kragen and it worked just fine. Check to see if anyone in Hawaii has a Vag-Com. Im sure someone does. Run that through the car and should tell you exactly what to do.

By the way, did you try what I told you a few posts earlier?

Haha!! I know you think Im an idiot now that has no mechanical know-how,.. However, the code reader works.. I tried it in my tacoma and it worked fine (I even got the check engine light off by cleaning my mas air flow sensor) But when I plug it into the audi, it says it cant communicate with it.. It powers up so I know there is power going to the plug.. but then it goes through all the different languages to try to communicate with the car and it cant link up.. any ideas? I couldnt try the other tests that you recommended (thanx for the advice) yet becuase I have no way to look at the codes yet to see if the problem jumps to another cycliner or "side" of the engine.. unless there is another way to tell that I dont know about? thanx for your continued help, I would be lost withougt you guys!
Old 04-19-2009, 06:03 PM

Ok, I tried something else.. I plugged in the giac flashloader and made sure that the car was set to Stock.. Still.. the obd II reader cant link up!! What am i missing here?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Might just not be fully compatable with the audi. The only way you could know for sure is to test that scanner on another b5 s4 and if it works, its your car. If not the scanner is just incompatable with these cars.

I thought these cars were picky about what they used. Also, there used to be something about poor after market radio installs shorting the signal wire to 12V.

My guess would be that this specific scanner is just not compatable with this car. There is alot of stuff going on in a serial connection like this. The scanner should work regardless of ecu programming.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by ccde77
Hey guys.. I just got a 2000 S4.. I actually had no Idea what an epic car this was but I just bought it cuz it looked cool and I got it for a great deal! 6k. Anyway, it has some issues of course.. My first question is... under hard acceleration , the engine stutters between 3-4K rpm. but not as much when it is cold, more when it is warm. AND when I do make it do that (stutter) the Check engine light blinks.. Otherwise the check engine light is just on constantly.. Also, there is some clunking noise from the right front wheel when I go over speed bumps or other bumps.Any help is appreciated!! I love this car!
awesome man!! we dont have still any type fashion of epic cars but i am thinking to invest in one of this so that my grandchildren can get a good output..