S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Epic!! New S4 owner, got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epic!! New S4 owner, got some questions

Hey guys.. I just got a 2000 S4.. I actually had no Idea what an epic car this was but I just bought it cuz it looked cool and I got it for a great deal! 6k. Anyway, it has some issues of course.. My first question is... under hard acceleration , the engine stutters between 3-4K rpm. but not as much when it is cold, more when it is warm. AND when I do make it do that (stutter) the Check engine light blinks.. Otherwise the check engine light is just on constantly.. Also, there is some clunking noise from the right front wheel when I go over speed bumps or other bumps.Any help is appreciated!! I love this car!
Attached Thumbnails Epic!! New S4 owner, got some questions-s4-007.jpg  
Old 04-05-2009, 02:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

congrats on the purchase... im sure a pro will chime in here.. but every single little ****ing thing on these cars is electronically controlled, so its not as easy as going to advance and getting the codes read, sometimes it feels like you need a reader to decipher the readout from the reader! but good luck man, nice ride (once you get these issues figured out, PLEASE lower that car a bit.. )
Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Misfires are the stutters under hard acceleration. To find out the culprit you should have the car scanned with VAGcom, a vw audi diagnostic device. It will help you narrow down which cylinder it is on. Could be plugs, could be coils, if it's on multiple cylinders it could be a boost leak... the options are endless!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

^ditto for the stuttering. For the clunking sound, get a new control arm kit. You have have a case of torn bushings most likely.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello and welcome. I hope you are ready for what you have gotten yourself into.

Your car is misfiring like previously stated. It can be a number of things.
I recommend saving yourself the trouble and heartache and buying a vag-com now so you can pull codes and figure out what is wrong with your car now plus all the future issues you will have.

The clicking in the suspension is either a bad control arm or wheel bearing. Jack it up and check it out.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Coil packs, almost no question. But you still need a VAG com to figure out which one.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Take his advice and get a VagCom. I regret every couple of weeks to months that I never got one. Now I keep thinking I'm going to sell/trade my car soon enough that I refuse to justify it and get angry.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 PM

Ya man I had the same problem plus running rich. I have to replave spark plugs and them the n72 valve I think then I forget what it was for the fuel. But the heartship is worth it
Old 04-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Default thanx guys

Hey, thanx for the help guys.. BY some of the negative sounding replies though, Im not sure if you guys love these cars or hate em?!?! I love mine, even with the issues!! every time I sid in that awesome black leather and listen to the turbo spin up!!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:34 PM

Default vagcom?

is this a vagcom? found it in the glove box. where do I plug it in? Sorry im so clueless
Attached Thumbnails Epic!! New S4 owner, got some questions-vagcom-005.jpg  

Quick Reply: Epic!! New S4 owner, got some questions