S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Does Raising Your Psi give you more HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Raising Your Psi give you more HP

i am not sure but i want to know if raising your psi you will get more hp
Old 05-22-2010, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since you are asking such question I will assume you know a little or nothing about turbo systems... I will say "yes, but":

1) raising it beyond certain levels at given RPMs might require fueling system upgrades
2) depending on turbo type, different values are their "Sweet spots" and "maximums before they blow up"
3) beyond certain values/HPs you need misc items upgrades like clutch, suspension, brakes and most notably rods if going beyond 25psi, generally speaking.
4) generally requires ECU re-programming
Old 05-22-2010, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

i have a k03 with a giac x chip and a 710N diverter valve and a magnaflow exhaust how much psi can i raise it with my boost controller so it wont blow up
Old 05-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, the more psi the more power. The harder the turbo's push the more power you will get. now with the k03's more power ( more psi) causes them to fail but that is how a chip gives you more power.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks dude i understand all i wanted to know is i get more damn power but yeah thanks i wont push the k03's hard what psi do u think i should keep it in around...??? 15 20 .... so it wont go bad
Old 05-22-2010, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How are you controlling the boost? How are you going to increase the boost?

Bruce
Old 05-23-2010, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

with a boost controller.... how much psi can i increase it to so its at a decent point...
Old 05-23-2010, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

K03 turbos have a natural taper, so you won't get much more power out of them by just raising the boost. Here is an example of one with a Revo chip with a Voodo MBC that I logged. As you can see, even though the Revo chip wants 17.5 psi at redline, the K03 airflow restrictions are only putting out 12.5 psi at redline.

Bruce

Old 05-23-2010, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dexster818
i am not sure but i want to know if raising your psi you will get more hp
Wow, I can't tell you how lucky you are to get 7 replies to that question without a single one of them using the word "n00b". :P

I think the other guys have given you the basic answer you were looking for but, and don't take this the wrong way, based on your current understanding of how turbos/motors work you need to stay away from manually tuning your motor.

You can, with a combination of a programmable or manual Fuel Pressure Regular and Boost Controller, tweak the psi and fuel delivery to the cylinders. However, you need to be able reprogram the ECU as well or the turbos will not create more PSI than stock. The requested boost is determined by the on-board engine program and is capped at something like 10psi from the factory.

Most stage2 chips removed this limit or push it upward to 17-19 psi, which is pretty much the upper efficiency range of the stock turbos. These programs also modify the fuel delivery program and other aspects of the engine management system to take advantage of the higher boost.

Most of the stage 2 chips have gone through extensive testing and tweaking over the years and really offer a great and easy way to get more power out of the car. I highly suggest you purchase an aggressive chip like GIAC and leave it at that until you become more familiar with the car.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

First of all. i asked a simple F****** question second of all stop acting like you know every single aspect of every single thing about the car Third... isnt Forums made for asking any question possible to try to find a answer to how simple or how complex the answer is because i think you guys are being total dicks about it , and noob, yeah i am a noob we were all one at one point its called learning new things day by day i dont think couple years ago you guys knew anything about the s4 u guys probably had it for years i recently bought mines couple months ago and learning day by day so before you guys start talking about how you know everything be nice about stuff because i think forums are for asking questions and getting answers and learning about what is what.. where goes where DIY and other things soo.... yeah dude mature the f*** up PEACE and thanks for the free lesson on what a turbo is and how it works... L8z

Quick Reply: Does Raising Your Psi give you more HP