S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Climate control issue - cold then hot then cold

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control issue - cold then hot then cold

It seemes as if the climate control is now correcting itself too early. While cooling it will cycle warm air every 40 seconds or so. This never used to happen. It is as if the gap where it would switch from cooling to heating is now too narrow.

When I push the temp setting to "Lo" it remains constantly cool so it is not seeming like the actual AC system has any issues. I STFA and did not find anything helpful but this is one of those questions where each person could describe it differently.

Anyone else have this issue?
Is the cabin temp sensor part of the head unit?
I saw some post about vag-com and the head unit but I have no idea what is being suggested. If there is diagnostic info I could gather through vag-com I do have access to one but need a starting point.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More info - I can hear the noise of a door or gate moving somewhere in the dash behind the center vents. It cycles back and forth and even runs on a bit after I turn the system off entirely. Any ideas? It seems consistent with the idea of the controller going nuts and changing the airflow and/or heater core bypass.

Does anyone have an idea if this is controlled by the head unit or some other device? Has anyone used the diagnostic mode to assess the climate control unit? Anyone replaced theirs yet? What about using the Vag-Com to diagnose it?

Or, am I the only one who is "lucky" enough to have yet another AC issue as the warm weather approches. TIA for any advice, I'd like to postpone handing it over to the pros if I can.