S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

can someone look up this vin number for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone look up this vin number for me?

it would be nice to get the history or even if its a valid vin. and no I am not getting rid of my S4. Just looking to replace town and country Lxi van.

WV2NB47042H002918
Old 03-07-2005, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

No records in carfax for the VIN as provided
Old 03-07-2005, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Rob! So its clean as far as carfax? I wonder how else I can check it?
Old 03-07-2005, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That doesn't mean it's "clean as far as carfax"; it means there's no record of it ...

... among the sources they check, which includes the DMV. Guess I could have worded that better. I didn't mean Carfax has no derogatory records. Rather, they can't find that VIN.

No record of a VIN in carfax is a red flag. It might just mean the VIN you provided is incorrect, but I'd be weary.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Sorry, but that's incorrect.

No record of a VIN in Carfax means just that: there are no records, good or bad, on file with Carfax. It is NOT a red flag. If there were something wrong with the car that Carfax normally picks up on, it would be listed. You often see the "no records" verbage when dealing with a brand new car or one that has not been registered and/or titled yet.

It also doesn't mean that VIN provided is incorrect. If that were the case, you'd get an "invalid" vin number message instead of a "no records" for the " 2002 VOLKSWAGEN EUROVAN MV" etc etc.

Marc
Old 03-07-2005, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I disagree ...

If a vehicle has been registered in the US, whether commercially or private, there's record of it. And Carfax would be able able to reflect record of that, based on the variety of systems the service accesses.

Perhaps there are instances where a vehicle is put into service and the registration, insurance, and other recording processes all happen to take place in systems Carfax just happens to not have access ... but I'd find that a huge coincidence.

Finally, at least from my recent research on no less than 15 '05, new, never been titled vehicles, new cars do often show up in the system as having been entered into a dealer's inventory (as part of their import process or something).

I've yet, in using the service twice with over 50 recent searches new, new-untitled, pre-owned, had it reply with "no record of that VIN found".
Old 03-07-2005, 02:19 PM

Default You're confused.

You're confusing "no record of that VIN found" with "no records for your vin" were found. There's a huge difference. The first would indicate an incorrect vin; the second would indicate it's a correct vin, but there are just no records on file for it. The latter is the case with the vin in question.

Example #1: <A HREF="http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=wv2nb47042h002918">http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=wv2nb47042h002918</A>

This is his correct vin, but there are NO records, either good or bad, on file for it. This should NOT set off a "red flag." Carfax acknowledges the make, model, year, country of origin, etc. In other words, they know the car, but don't have any records on it. If there were records for it (good or bad), Carfax would be reporting them.

Example #2: <A HREF="http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=wv2nb47042hO02918">http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=wv2nb47042hO02918</A>

This would be what you refer to as "no record of that vin found." In other words, the vin is invalid. If you get this error message, somebody gave you an incorrect vin, either on purpose or accidentally. This COULD be a red flag, but can be easily fixed by getting the correct vin from the person.

Every new car I've ever checked through Carfax came back with example #1. Makes sense since the car is brand new and wouldn't have any records, although if it had been in a wreck where something would have been reported to the police, insurance company, etc. it should almost certainly show up as a record, even though it's a new car.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion,

Marc (running Carfax reports for what seems like 10 years now)
Old 03-07-2005, 02:26 PM

Default BTW, just did a "New Inventory" Search of 2005+ S4s and here's what I came up with...

The very first hit was this dealer...

<a href="http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/ncal.jsp?car_id=176119428&dealer_id=1854548&ncal_i d=286249&car_year=2005&search_type=new&make=AUDI&m odel=S4&transmission=&distance=25&address=10536&ma ke2=&advanced=y&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price= &min_price=&end_year=2006&color=&start_year=2005&d rive=&isp=y&engine=&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardist=1 9">http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/ncal.jsp?car_id=176119428&amp;dealer_id=1854548&am p;ncal_id=286249&amp;car_year=2005&amp;search_type =new&amp;make=AUDI&amp;model=S4&amp;transmission=& amp;distance=25&amp;address=10536&amp;make2=&amp;a dvanced=y&amp;certified=&amp;max_mileage=&amp;max_ price=&amp;min_price=&amp;end_year=2006&amp;color= &amp;start_year=2005&amp;drive=&amp;isp=y&amp;engi ne=&amp;doors=&amp;fuel=&amp;lang=en&amp;cardist=1 9</a>

Try the last 2 of the 3 vins on this page in Carfax and you'll see the same verbage... "The CARFAX database currently contains no records for this vehicle." Does that mean this is a red flag? Should I steer clear of these two brand new S4s which popped up as the very first hit on my search? No!

This discounts your theory that all new cars are put it into Carfax with one record showing "in dealer's inventory." In your case you were probably searching a dealer or network of dealers where they all reported to Carfax, but that's not the case nationwide. Therefore, your test was inconclusive and inaccurate.

Marc
Old 03-07-2005, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think it's because of the way Carfax responded to this VIN ...

I've yet to see one come back with this:

The CARFAX© database currently contains no records for this vehicle. Please check back again soon, as our database is continually updated.

Please note: We only collect information for passenger cars and light trucks. If the VIN you entered is not in one of these categories, CARFAX may not have data for this vehicle.

If a vehicle, especially a 2002, has been used for any purpose in the U.S. it has to have been registered in some capacity, and that would indicate some record in some system that you'd think Carfax would have access to. In other words, all a vehicle needs is one record with a state DMV to be databased by Carfax ... and a 2002 vehicle should have at least one. That's why I called it a red flag; not meaning the car was inherently bad.

I get what you're saying about new vehicles, though my searches on new-car VINs have come back with a report that just didn't have anything beyond an indication of the dealer receiving it.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:39 PM

Default I disagree.

I know people with 1990 Corvette ZR-1s who never registered their car or put them "through the system in some capacity." I bet if you were to run the vin on that car, it would come back as "no records found in our database." Just because the car he's looking at is a 2002 doesn't necessarily mean it was registered. Nobody says you have to register a car. Look at new cars that stay on dealer lots for years, i.e., demo cars. Some demo cars can be 2, 3, or more years older and they've never been registered or titled with the state. I once bought a car that sat on the dealer's lot for 2 years! It was a '98 Plymouth Neon ACR. Could be the same thing here with this 2002...

As for the new vehicles thing, see my other response above...

Later,

Marc

Quick Reply: can someone look up this vin number for me?