S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Body shop woes for the S4 -

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Body shop woes for the S4 -

I had my front bumper resprayed last February (2008) at this shop near my house. Come 1 year later, I found some paint chipping off in the crevices around the front center grill inserts. So I take it back in to take them up on their guarantee and ask them to fix it. The look at it and after some grumbling that its somehow my fault because there are scrapes on the underside of my bumper which somehow must have caused so much flex that the paint half a foot up the bumper started chipping (??), they ablige and a day later (yesterday) my car is proclaimed done.

So I rush home from work yesterday and pick up the car in the nick of time before closing. It looked good but I admit I did not inspect it as I should have due to time constraints and it was nearly dark anyway.

I get home and look at it more closely and WTF... I now have a two tone bumper. IT looks like they just sprayed a bunch of undercoat (I have a pearl car) around the middle of my bumper and called it a day. The paint is a darker tone, little to no pearl in it, and its rough. To top it off (!), I look at it closer and I now have a nice visible horizontal crack going across the tops of the two posts between the grill peices right as they meet the upper bumper portion! At first I thought it was just a line from taped of paint area - but I looked at it in daylight today and its a f'n crack. You could see it from 5 feet away now and feel it as you run your finger across. This was NOT there when I brought my car in, nor was anything like this visible when we were inspecting that area.

So now I'm pissed and I call the manager this morning. After some back and forth the jist of the conversation is that he claims that they "discovered" this crack as they were working on it and according to him it MUST have been caused by my driving and scraping the underside of my bumper on curbs or what not (its a f'n 8 year old car - there's going to be scrapes a-hole!). They did not call me, nor notify me.. yet now claim that it was there beforehand. He says that they will fix the paint, two tone issue but the bumper is my fault and not theirs. (I guess the crack just spontaneously appeared out of thin air)

I want to ****ing hurt someone.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i feel your pain. it seems like every time i turn my car over to anyone for the smallest thing

they **** something up.

why is it so difficult for people to do good work?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Honestly... what the hell is wrong with people and companies nowadays. Why does everything seem

to come back and end up costing you somehow to the point where you wish you never even began dealing with it???

This is absurd now! I bring my car in for warranty repair work and I now need a new bumper?!?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 AM

Default I too feel your pain. I can't tell you how many times people have done completely unnaceptable work

on the car and then blamed the results of the factory, or previous this and that... its frustrating.

good luck
Old 03-06-2009, 06:43 AM

Default i own so many ridiculous tools that i shouldn't own b/c i've come to DIY practically everything

b/c most people are morons.

if i lived near autospeed or wms or vast - they would be my trusted guys - but i don't.

i even take my wheels off of the car and take them to the tire shop (without the car) for balancing b/c those guys are so retarded.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If it makes you feel better Peter. I have the Same crack you talking about on both Sides
Old 03-06-2009, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I feel you. Its unbelievable how many complete hacks work in the auto service industry.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, its always some miraculously convenient reason or excuse, not the reasonable truth.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

At least your car is black though..
Old 03-06-2009, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, not nice and pearly right. Thanks

Rub it in.

Quick Reply: Body shop woes for the S4 -