S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

2001 S4, turbos went yesterday, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S4, turbos went yesterday, suggestions?

I just bought my S4 about 6 weeks ago, it already has exhaust, fully adjustable Koni coilovers, but otherwise stock.
I live in Dayton, Ohio and was on my way to visit family for turkey day when it started blowing all the oil out the exhaust.
201 miles on a flatbed back home. I did shut it down when the oil light came on.
Anyways, I already ordered a set of KO4 turbos online. I know I'll have to drop the engine/trans complete out the bottom. I plan to upgrade the head gaskets and head bolts to studs while it's out. I do want to double check the bearings since the oil light came on.
I was told it has an upgraded clutch already.
Now, the part I don't know. Who and where the best place for the upgraded headgaskets and studs, what else I will need for the KO4 swap. I don't have an unlimited budget or time line, but don't want to skip any important parts either. Worst case, if I have to I can dip into my retirement money, but that is last resort. So upgrading rods and pistons is probably too much for this project. Esp since this is going to be used as a daily driver and I need to have it be reliable. Too much power and I'll have to upgrade too many other parts in the drivetrain for the budget and time I have.
I am an ASE master tech, but I'm new to Audi stuff in general.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Obviously you should do the TB and water pump, make sure you get the metal thermostat cover as well. Change all the tensioners, cam and crank seals while the motor is out, and get a spool of silicone vacuum hose and replace all of it while the car is out. Replace the boost hoses from turbos to IC's and IC's to bi-pipes while you're there as well.

You should also have a close look at the spider hose and consider a oil catch can, I used the one from 42 Draft Designs and love it. With K04's you will want a new tune and I HIGHLY recommend 034 Motorsports. If you go that route you should go with Bosch EV14 injectors. Since you're doing K04's the RS4 inlet pipes are almost a given unless they came with your kit. There are three or 4 check valves (especially the one on the brake booster) that should be replaced as well.

Plugs, check the coolant hoses, and go over the wiring as a lot of it may be brittle and a little extra time spent here will save you loads of effort later. These engine compartments get hot and the insulation on the wiring does not live as long as you'd like.

Remember that if you have a stock intercooler it's not going to keep up with the K04's so consider an upgrade. AWE has a good deal on theirs (which flow better than the RS4 ones and have CF shrouds).

Do motor and trans mounts as well because if you don't you're going to be sorry. Most of us who have stage 3 cars have been happy with 034's mounts as they hold the motor with upwards of 600HP with no issue.

Call Jeremy or Sam at 034 Motorsport, they can hook you up with all you need and they are honest, straight shooters who won't steer you wrong or oversell you a bunch of rice racer nonsense.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You can skip the studs and put the money elsewhere. The post above should give you some ideas of things you can throw your money at. The primary concern is going to be getting the ECU retuned to function with the K04's. If you stick with stock boost levels you can concentrate on preventative maintenance, if you opt for Stg3 K04 boost levels you'll need to start a list of parts to upgrade.

Originally Posted by Joe100S
AWE has a good deal on theirs (which flow better than the RS4 ones and have CF shrouds).
No, AWE IC's do not flow better than RS4 IC's. The AWE IC cools better, but there are other IC options I'd look into before either of those.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, the engine is back in. Finally, I didn't think it would take this long. But I ran out of money for a minute.
K04, K04 inlets tubes, spacer for the intake, 60# injectors, high flow fuel pump, 85mm mass air with bosch sensor, already had upgraded motor mounts (billet)and upgraded clutch that looks brand new, upgraded the front mount from the soft rubber, down pipes (having trouble with), already had a cat-back system (I think from VAST), and since the belt was making noise I replaced it as well. I checked one of the rod bearings and it looked brand new, so I just sealed the pan up and left most of the maint stuff alone.
I did the upgraded coils from 034 to the newer style.
Still have not tuned yet, that is the one thing I'm just not sure who to go with. I just don't have another 600 to put into it. I'm almost to the point that I need to finish it and sell it so I'm not flat broke anymore.
Maybe I'll just sell my AR. They are going for stupid high money lately.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wildchilds74
Well, the engine is back in. Finally, I didn't think it would take this long. But I ran out of money for a minute.
K04, K04 inlets tubes, spacer for the intake, 60# injectors, high flow fuel pump, 85mm mass air with bosch sensor, already had upgraded motor mounts (billet)and upgraded clutch that looks brand new, upgraded the front mount from the soft rubber, down pipes (having trouble with), already had a cat-back system (I think from VAST), and since the belt was making noise I replaced it as well. I checked one of the rod bearings and it looked brand new, so I just sealed the pan up and left most of the maint stuff alone.
I did the upgraded coils from 034 to the newer style.
Still have not tuned yet, that is the one thing I'm just not sure who to go with. I just don't have another 600 to put into it. I'm almost to the point that I need to finish it and sell it so I'm not flat broke anymore.
Maybe I'll just sell my AR. They are going for stupid high money lately.
It will probably be a blast to drive and double your money right now on ARs - lol