S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

2 newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 newbie questions

Where's the subwoofer? I have an 01 S4 avant. There's what seems to be a small extra speaker in the driver's door. Never had a car with a subwoofer before but on a few songs that are REALLY bass-heavy, I can tell that the subwoofer led a hard life and needs to be replaced.
Secondly, any special tehniques for reinstalling the rear wiper? I wanted to replace the end cap as it was partially broke, then I noticed the retaining nut was rusty so I replaced that as well. I can't seem to get the wiper arm to stay on the spindle and I can't screw the nut on hard enough to get the wiper arm to stay. When you run the rear wiper, the spindle turns but doesn't really move the wiper.
Lastly, I'm getting 19-20 driving a mixture of highway and city. Driving very gently and not floored yet at all. Is this what I should be expecting? Automatic with about 65k.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. The small speakers are tweeters - I believe they handle the high-frequencies. I don't think these cars come with a built in dedicated subwoofer, but I might be mistaken as I've never played with my audio system.

2. Have to skip this one - I don't have the Avant so no rear wiper for me.

3. It is a little low, but not unusual. Pure highway the best I've gotten is 23 mpg, and that is with the AC off. You could replace your air filter, plugs, check tire pressure, and so on, but you will never get above 25 mpg in this car.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for answering and your input. With respect to #1, I understand that the small speakers near the door handle are tweeters, the same as in my 98 A4. However, in between the tweeter and the speaker at the bottom of the door is what appears to be another speaker and it's only in the driver's door. Doesn't appear aftermarket. Anyone have something similar in their car?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No. Only one speaker on bottom front door of either driver or passenger side in front bottom.

Bruce
Old 04-24-2009, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gotten over 30MPGs on a trip before appx 214 mile trip. It was on the trip home from getting my turbos replaced... Maybe the audi gods decided to help my wallet, but I doubt it.. Only happened that one time and I have been trying to figure it out ever since. If I had to guess the real cause it was due to the quart of oil that had been dumped into that down pipe, probabaly used up all the oxygen and the ECU leaned the **** out of the car...

Other than that, when my car was a younger girl, I would get 14 city, and 25-28 on long trips. 24 is the best I get these days. Always drive with A/C on, some times windows down. If the windows are down, A/C is always on.

Also I get a few MPGs better with out cruise control on. Must of my miles have been put on 700Mile trips thats the only reason I have noticed the diferance.

I thought the avant had a bass unit some where, as the sedans have 2 dedicated woofers in the rear deck, I would check the tech section.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

The extra speaker you mention is for the cell phone that was an option at the time of purchase.

'...getting 19-20 driving a mixture of highway and city. Driving very gently and not floored yet at all. Is this what I should be expecting? Automatic with about 65k.'

That MPG isn't bad - but you can get better; starting w/basics:
Proper tire inflation & balance & alignment
Clean (OEM) air filter
Quality gasoline
Synthetic motor oil (though not necessary) & regular changes; OEM filter
Fuel Injector cleaner
Replace fuel filter - only OEM
Replace transmission filter & fluid (use only OEM, IMO)
Replace differential fluid (only OEM)
Tune up (plugs & whatever else might be necessary)
Power flush coolant system if never done; proper coolant, reasonably fresh (IOW, not 4yrs old)
Driving style (I always get better mileage than my wife does, in any vehicle - ;^) espl re roadway, terrain, wind & ambient temp
Clean car, including waxed

This isn't intended to insult, merely a reminder

With all of that and assuming no mechanical problems (even those that haven't fully manifested yet), you could regularly get a combined 20 - 22 which includes some very spirited driving; with effort and depending other variables, you could get as much as 20 mpg in city and up to ~30+ highway if you drove easy all the time.

I have been retaining my gas receipts and documenting at each fill up for just over 3 yrs (have watched it for 8 yrs +) - and my average is 21 mpg combined. I have an automatic (TIP) and my mileage improved notably when at 60k miles I had the trans filter, fluid and differential fluid replaced. I also replace my fuel filter about every 30k miles (should do it every 15k). I have a Stg 3- w/a complete performance transmission rebuild (drive to enjoy) and I still avg 21 mpg (like I did when it was all stock, only now I'm driving a bit faster on occasion).
Old 04-25-2009, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
Always drive with A/C on, some times windows down. If the windows are down, A/C is always on.
Da f***?
Old 04-25-2009, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

great! well at least I know I'm not crazy about that mystery speaker in my driver's door. That solves one problem. I still need to figure out which speaker needs replacing and I'm not talented enough to figure out which one. I'll check out a stereo shop at some point for assistance. (yes, I realize you can use balance and fade, I just can't put my finger on which one is the issue)
Pretty religious about tire pressures and washing/waxing, people at work give me grief so I have the rep of being ****, all required maintanance done, just a little disappointed with the mileage. I'll probably have a better read on it the longer I have the car.
Anyone with ideas on the rear wiper question?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:13 PM

Default best chip

guys i have a imola yellow 01 s4 with 42000km on the odo. it is all stock. i also have a black 01 s4 with 6sp and giacX chip and miltek exhaust with 89000km.love both of them. allthough i find my triptronic too tame compared to the 6sp. it is fast but nothing like the 6sp.
which is the best chip out there? AWE tuning in Calgary told me that i should do the giacX chip with the giac transmission chip, with better high performance exhaust and better intake. is anyone out there driving with this setup?
any help will be much appreaciated. i am new to this forum.
thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is this 30 MPG from trip computer or from actual fill up?

Quick Reply: 2 newbie questions