S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

cold start problems and rough idle after warmup

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold start problems and rough idle after warmup

Hello,

After I've spent several hours on the forum trying to find a fix for my issue and after throwing a lot of money into it I decided to open a new topic so that it might help finding the fix for my problem.
My current setup is an APB engine, K04s, Aeromotive 340 FP (stock one went bad and my friend had this) , 4bar FPR, stock injectors, Forge FMDV008 DVs, K&N air filter.

I've two ECUs, one running the stock program and the second one is modified for my setup, but that does not really seem to matter because the issue that I am going to describe happens with _both_.

So on cold startup (not all the time) my RPM goes up to 1800-2000 rpm then drops down to 1200, and then after 2 seconds the engine starts to splutter really bad like I have serious misfires. It seems to me that
the mixture is really crap at this point. While this is happening, the rpm is jumpoing between 1300 and 700 and that makes the turbos to spool up which makes the issue even worse and the car is shaking really bad.

After about 15-20 seconds the issue starts to slow down and the rpm sticks to 1200 rpm and from there everything is as usual, it takes about 5 minutes for the car to warm up properly and then
the rpm drops down the the normal warm level, and from there it only jumps between 780-830 rpm.
According to my logs I have about 5-8 misfires a minute randomly on all 6 cylinders, but it does not happen on more than one at the same time.
Other than that, the car drives totally fine and it pulls as hard as it should without stalling or misfiring.
The other thing that I noticed is that If i shut the engine down right when the rpm starts to jump around, and then I restart it, the issue does not happen.

I only use 95 or 100 oct. fuel.

What we have tried already to fix the issue:
- replaced spark plugs gapped to 0.7 mm with the ones it had in it already (FR7KPP33+)
- replaced spark plugs gapped to 0.7 mm with a different one (NGK PFR7Q)
- replaced all six coil packs
- replaced both of the ICMs
- replaced engine coolant temperature sensor
- replaced FPR (fuel pressure is 4.0-4.1 bar)
- replaced fuel pump relay
- checked for boost and vacuum leaks with a leak tester (no leaks at all)
- replaced the Bosch MAF with a new one
- checked all O2 sensor values and they are all in range
- checked EGT sensors

I would love if someone could throw some ideas before I light the car up on fire.

Thank you
Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rnagy86
Hello,

After I've spent several hours on the forum trying to find a fix for my issue and after throwing a lot of money into it I decided to open a new topic so that it might help finding the fix for my problem.
My current setup is an APB engine, K04s, Aeromotive 340 FP (stock one went bad and my friend had this) , 4bar FPR, stock injectors, Forge FMDV008 DVs, K&N air filter.

I've two ECUs, one running the stock program and the second one is modified for my setup, but that does not really seem to matter because the issue that I am going to describe happens with _both_.

So on cold startup (not all the time) my RPM goes up to 1800-2000 rpm then drops down to 1200, and then after 2 seconds the engine starts to splutter really bad like I have serious misfires. It seems to me that
the mixture is really crap at this point. While this is happening, the rpm is jumpoing between 1300 and 700 and that makes the turbos to spool up which makes the issue even worse and the car is shaking really bad.

After about 15-20 seconds the issue starts to slow down and the rpm sticks to 1200 rpm and from there everything is as usual, it takes about 5 minutes for the car to warm up properly and then
the rpm drops down the the normal warm level, and from there it only jumps between 780-830 rpm.
According to my logs I have about 5-8 misfires a minute randomly on all 6 cylinders, but it does not happen on more than one at the same time.
Other than that, the car drives totally fine and it pulls as hard as it should without stalling or misfiring.
The other thing that I noticed is that If i shut the engine down right when the rpm starts to jump around, and then I restart it, the issue does not happen.

I only use 95 or 100 oct. fuel.

What we have tried already to fix the issue:
- replaced spark plugs gapped to 0.7 mm with the ones it had in it already (FR7KPP33+)
- replaced spark plugs gapped to 0.7 mm with a different one (NGK PFR7Q)
- replaced all six coil packs
- replaced both of the ICMs
- replaced engine coolant temperature sensor
- replaced FPR (fuel pressure is 4.0-4.1 bar)
- replaced fuel pump relay
- checked for boost and vacuum leaks with a leak tester (no leaks at all)
- replaced the Bosch MAF with a new one
- checked all O2 sensor values and they are all in range
- checked EGT sensors

I would love if someone could throw some ideas before I light the car up on fire.

Thank you
Wow, reading this I was really leaning towards a MAF problem. Seemed like a vacuum/boost leak to me once car goes closed loop... Was surprised to see you checked it without a leak...