S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Winter wheel & tire options

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually think they look better than I thought they would. I like how the calipers just peek through on the fronts.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it seems like a lot of people are going for the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4... are people choosing that over the cheaper Michelin X-Ice XI3 (just as an example) mostly for the cold weather performance and higher speed rating? Just trying to see if there's a reason to go for the more expensive one. Personally I'm more concerned with tread life, as I drive over 400 miles each week... Is there any where I can go to see info on how many miles I can expect to get out of a given winter tire? Thanks in advance for any info/help!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MadScientistS4
So it seems like a lot of people are going for the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4... are people choosing that over the cheaper Michelin X-Ice XI3 (just as an example) mostly for the cold weather performance and higher speed rating? Just trying to see if there's a reason to go for the more expensive one. Personally I'm more concerned with tread life, as I drive over 400 miles each week... Is there any where I can go to see info on how many miles I can expect to get out of a given winter tire? Thanks in advance for any info/help!
I'm one of the few that went with the Michelin X-Ice XI3. As mentioned in my earlier post, I can freely reach the max tire speeds living in Germany, however I am fine with accepting a 130mph speed limit during the winter, and saving top speed (155mph) for summer driving. I'm not sure why some U.S. drivers are opting to pay $65 more per tire for 19 extra mph that they can't even reach unless tracking... in the winter?

Besides that, the X-Ice is a highly rated winter tire as compared against others rated for same speed on Tire Rack https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=193

As for the durability comparison, here are their warranties:

Michelin X-Ice XI3
Treadlife Warranty: 6 Years / 40,000 Miles (when worn to 2/32" depth) Half mileage for rear if different size than front Must be used during winter months only 9/1 to 4/30
Uniformity Warranty: 1 Year / first 2/32" of wear
Workmanship & Materials Warranty: 6 Years / Free replacement first year, 2/32" or 25% of wear, then prorated until 2/32" remaining depth

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
Treadlife Warranty: 6 Years / 30,000 Miles (when worn to 2/32" depth) Half mileage for rear if different size than front Must be used during winter months only 9/1 to 4/30
Uniformity Warranty: 1 Year / first 2/32" of wear
Workmanship & Materials Warranty: 6 Years / Free replacement first year, 2/32" or 25% of wear, then prorated until 2/32" remaining depth

Very similar, but you can expect to get more longevity out of the XI3.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

For me, the decision to go PA4 was not about top speed at all. It was about how all reviews I've read suggest that Studless Ice & Snow category tires feel more numb/spongy and have less precise and responsive steering characteristics than a Performance Winter category tire on dry roads...which in the midwest is where 90+ percent of my driving miles will occur.

Besides, I figure my S4 is what...6 inches off the ground stock? If I am driving in snow deeper than that I am probably risking damage to my front bumper anyway. No thanks, don't need that extra deep snow performance.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As for tread-life, it is not a good idea to run winter tire, or any tires, down to 2/32. I replace them at 5/32 if heading into winter, or 4/32 if winter is over, based on testing by Consumer Reports and Tire Rack.

This test measured wear down to 3mm, which is 0.118 inches, which is about 4/32. The longest-lasting was Michelin X-Ice North 3 with studs. 40,000 miles.

https://tekniikanmaailma.fi/wp-conte...16_english.pdf

Old 10-23-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
I'm one of the few that went with the Michelin X-Ice XI3. As mentioned in my earlier post, I can freely reach the max tire speeds living in Germany, however I am fine with accepting a 130mph speed limit during the winter, and saving top speed (155mph) for summer driving. I'm not sure why some U.S. drivers are opting to pay $65 more per tire for 19 extra mph that they can't even reach unless tracking... in the winter?

Besides that, the X-Ice is a highly rated winter tire as compared against others rated for same speed on Tire Rack https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=193

As for the durability comparison, here are their warranties:

Very similar, but you can expect to get more longevity out of the XI3.
That's what I was thinking... top speed rating here in the US is kind of meaningless, especially for winter tires. I guess what I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience with is if there is a SIGNIFICANT performance difference in the dry/cold weather that would justify the extra $65/tire.

Also, on a sidenote are the XI3's directional? Or can I rotate them side to side to help with the wear? And is there an inside/outside edge, or can I swap them on the rims if the inside/outside appears to be wearing unevenly?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies! I'm also considering the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3, if anyone has any personal experience with those!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what I was thinking... top speed rating here in the US is kind of meaningless, especially for winter tires. I guess what I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience with is if there is a SIGNIFICANT performance difference in the dry/cold weather that would justify the extra $65/tire.

Also, on a sidenote are the XI3's directional? Or can I rotate them side to side to help with the wear? And is there an inside/outside edge, or can I swap them on the rims if the inside/outside appears to be wearing unevenly?
For hydroplaning and handling slush the tires are directional, so you would only swap them front to rear. The PA4 does rate slightly higher for dry performance, as was a factor mentioned by mplsbrian (for the record, I would spring for the PA4 if I had unlimited budget, it just factors as a diminishing return for me personally). The difference is slight, however, and once again winter for me is less about track handling and more about surviving icy and harsh conditions while preserving my expensive car. I find the handling with the X-Ice to be better than expected in dry conditions. This is still a very premium tire, just not the tippy "top of the line." Oh, and my other consideration was noise, which rated in the top bracket... not much difference from the OEM summers.

Last edited by dbuxton13; 10-23-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Finally decided about wheels Niche Misano Black 18x8 42 offset
Hope they will fit nicely
Attached Thumbnails Winter wheel & tire options-niche-misano-matte-black.jpg  
Old 10-24-2017, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
For hydroplaning and handling slush the tires are directional, so you would only swap them front to rear. The PA4 does rate slightly higher for dry performance, as was a factor mentioned by mplsbrian (for the record, I would spring for the PA4 if I had unlimited budget, it just factors as a diminishing return for me personally). The difference is slight, however, and once again winter for me is less about track handling and more about surviving icy and harsh conditions while preserving my expensive car. I find the handling with the X-Ice to be better than expected in dry conditions. This is still a very premium tire, just not the tippy "top of the line." Oh, and my other consideration was noise, which rated in the top bracket... not much difference from the OEM summers.
Don't know about prices in Germany but where I am, next door, the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (Nordic compound) is about 20% more expensive than the PA4 - in the size discussed here, ~$185 vs $165 exc. tax for the PA4. Michelin mark up their Pilot performance series in the US. Such different tyres / different category, one should be better suited to where you drive and what compromises are acceptable. I spend most of my winter in the valleys, so use PA4 on one S5, SottoZero on the other. If I was up in the mountains most of the time, would use X-Ice.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel & tire options