S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Water Behind Window - Anyone Ever Seen This?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water Behind Window - Anyone Ever Seen This?

Hi all, brand new 2021 S4 Prestige. Day 2 with the vehicle, I discovered water behind my passenger window, between the window and rubber seal (pics attached from different tests). I tested it several times – with hose, water bottle, and rain – and reproduced the issue each time. The wetter the car gets, the more the water "creeps up" the rubber seal. With a little water, it creeps up a couple of inches. With steady rain, it creeps up the full height of the window. Water appears to move upward along the rubber from the door panel below. There's no water getting beyond this point or further into the interior as of this time, as far as I can tell.

FWIW, in one test – 10 minutes after I poured water over the door – I opened the door and saw the water drop out of the bottom of the door in the middle of the panel, between the seal snd the exterior panel. I realize that there are channels/drains in the door to move water though, but in my experience, water should generally move down and out, without that much delay. Seeing water move up and/or held within the door is disconcerting.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any thoughts on the cause or the solution? Dealer was initially dismissive, saying "maybe they are designed like that." Uh... as in designed to let water behind the glass? No.

Old 07-16-2021, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

What a bummer on such a new car! I'd bet Hans or Dieter at the factory came back from his six-course german breakfast (six beers und one kinderchocolate) and left something inside the door which is obstructing the drains.
Cannot believe the dealer blew you off! Next step: AoA (?)
Old 07-16-2021, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
What a bummer on such a new car! I'd bet Hans or Dieter at the factory came back from his six-course german breakfast (six beers und one kinderchocolate) and left something inside the door which is obstructing the drains.
Cannot believe the dealer blew you off! Next step: AoA (?)
Ha! Thanks for your sympathy... and humor. Turns out, the car was built on a Monday (in case the rumors are true about Monday and Friday cars). We'll see if there's a beer stein lodged inside the door or some other souvenir. I can say this: It's definitely not leaking beer! BTW, Hans or Dieter also didn't notice that the fuel door isn't flush with the quarter panel. I plan to address all with AoA for sure.

I'm looking for some ideas here since various local Service Advisors have been stumped (or tight-lipped) on this issue. Service Managers are "out" or "in meetings" and can't seem to be bothered to get back to me.

Last edited by Smith837; 07-16-2021 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aTOMic (07-16-2021)