S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Spoiler Alert (Sloppy Spoiler Application)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spoiler Alert (Sloppy Spoiler Application)

New 21 S4 Prestige with Audi carbon fiber spoiler. Just noticed what looks like some adhesive that leaked out from under the spoiler after it was placed on the vehicle. It's a bit unsightly. Any thoughts on whether there's a way to address this? It's a relatively small thing, and yet it's an expensive (and cosmetic) option, so the fact that it's sloppy makes me scratch my head. It's the 5th thing I've found that's not quite right since taking delivery 3 weeks ago. Pics below of left side (normal) and right side (blemished).

Left side (normal)

Right side (blemished)
Old 07-26-2021, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that installed at the factory or the port? But yes, sad!

I'm thinking can you slide a thin piece of poster board under the stuff and use an xacto knife with a "new" #7 blade to try to trim away the excess?
The following users liked this post:
19A4SLINE (07-29-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 74Roadster
Is that installed at the factory or the port? But yes, sad!

I'm thinking can you slide a thin piece of poster board under the stuff and use an xacto knife with a "new" #7 blade to try to trim away the excess?
I'm not sure whether it's factory installed or port installed, but I'm going to find out. Will report back on that. The car was originally spec'd with the spoiler (it's on the window sticker) -- not that such a thing is an indication of the installation location.

I am hesitant to try anything myself, in the event that I screw it up. First step is to notify the dealer and AoA, just so it's on the record. I'll see if either of them have a fix. I have seen videos online (example below) in which spoilers are removed by heating them (the adhesive) with a hair dryer -- so perhaps there's a way to heat and soften the adhesive so that EITHER it can be wiped away or polished away OR the spoiler can be removed altogether, cleaned, and reattached with fresh adhesive. The spoilers I've seen removed that way were metal/painted to match the body color (vs. carbon fiber), and they were completely replaced, so I'm not sure if the same technique will work with a lacquered carbon fiber piece that I intend to keep on the car. I want to make sure there's no chance of damaging the spoiler or clear coat/paint. It's a question for my detailer, who is excellent and who may do such things with regularity. If so, I'd sooner give it to the detailer to correct (vs. a dealer).

Of course, there's also the question of who pays for it (me vs. Audi). Depending on the complexity of the solution (and whether this can be done without needing to replace the spoiler altogether), it might be expensive. Plus, I have no idea how easy or difficult that particular adhesive will be to remove -- assuming it can be removed without destroying the clear coat/paint underneath.

Another solution would be to simply "live with it". I'd rather not, since it's unsightly and was a rather expensive option. But if I do, I still need to notify Audi so that they take ownership of the issue and so I don't get dinged for it if/when I return the car at the end of the lease.

Last edited by Smith837; 07-27-2021 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

If its on your sticker, its a warranty item just like the rest of the car.. Let them fix it.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Also -- not that it matters, but that option is a port installed option -- still carries the factory warranty of the vehicle.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickNY
If its on your sticker, its a warranty item just like the rest of the car.. Let them fix it.
Thanks Rick. It's on the sticker. I'm looking into it. I just want the fix to be spot-on. Do you happen to know if Audi dealers do this -- and do it well (compared to a more precise detailer)? Since it's typically port installed, I figure dealers have less experience with such things.

PS: Perhaps I'm overthinking it. Maybe a hairdryer, some fishing line, and adhesive remover used on the area will do it (vs. removing and reinstalling the spoiler).