S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Complete guide of speakers in the B9 S4 B&O system

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts
Default Complete guide of speakers in the B9 S4 B&O system

I've been working on this since fall of last year. Sorry it took so long but we had a baby and the project had to smolder on the back burner for a while. The attached Google docs spreadsheet lists out every speaker in the car by location along with guidance of the frequency response it's expected to play, the impedance of the driver, and how much power it's rated for. The factory driver power ratings are based on some units I found with power limits on the part number sticker, not on actual measurements. Nor do I know the amplifier's actual power outputs, but I'm assuming as long as your replacement drivers are rated the same or better, you should be fine. I tried pretty hard to isolate each driver to my microphone using a clay pot lines with foam placed over the driver during measurement but other sound still sneaks in. This is especially a problem on the door midrange as the door woofer vibrates the entire door panel.

Anyway I hope this is useful for anyone looking to do some upgrading. I myself am about elbow deep into this project on my own car and will drive head first into the rabbit hole this weekend.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by Bobby Kinstle; 05-16-2019 at 06:19 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bobby Kinstle:
ALEXB2023 (08-15-2023), BryceA (03-29-2024), JPump (12-13-2021), ramondoesnotapprove (07-14-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow cool excel chart.
read it quickly, whar are you planing to do?

chris
Old 05-16-2019, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

I'm doing the front door woofer and mid, rear door woofer, and I've already done the subwoofer.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

lol that car is gonna hit hard.
to bad, i dont live closer it would be fun to hear it in person.
are you putting in amps? or just speaker replacements.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

or maybe i should read the entire excel spreadsheet . my bad no coffee.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

So far I'm just replacing speakers to hopefully address some of the more glaring sound quality issues. Really the front door woofer is by far the biggest offender as it's frequency range sucks for things like bass guitar and cello but also that horn structure causes it to resonate in a most unpleasant manner that hurts my ears. Why they didn't just select one of the many and highly capable 6.5" woofers for this location is beyond me. I think some guys at B&O just did a bunch of cocaine one day and decided to horribly over engineer a problem that didn't really exist. The Danish are famous for that.

Ironically if they hadn't porked this one speaker so badly, I probably would have just replaced my sub and called it a day. I was actually pretty happy with the B&O in my B8.5 after I replaced the subwoofer.

I don't blame B&O for the bad subwoofers in both generations. I'm sure someone at Audi forbade them from handing anything down into the trunk and you can only build so much subwoofer when it's 2" thick.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Amazing work, thanks for sharing with us!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Very interesting, I second Yabi much appreciated for sharing.
Chris
Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow. Holy crap that was a lot of work. Thank you for sharing
Old 05-18-2019, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

I posted this in response to another thread but thought it might be interesting to add here. This is the whole system frequency response measured at the driver's seat with all the tone controls set to flat, 3D effect off and then on. Notice how the spectrum dips in four places in the upper midrange. I used the high setting to make the change more obvious to see. I spoke to an audio engineer about this and he said that's pretty much how 3D effect works on most systems.

3D effect off

3D effect set to High

Quick Reply: Complete guide of speakers in the B9 S4 B&O system