S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Audi B9 S4 Sedan and Avant - Full length Review - 38 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the B9 A4 to be totally adequate. The S4 has to be amazing.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Hardly slumming it with an S4, LOL! As you would know from driving around Europe, that is regarded a serious top end car - an A4 is a cut above the norm, which is an A3 1.6 diesel if you are doing okay and can afford a premium brand like Audi. Of course, cars (and running them) here represent a very different percentage of income/savings than the US cost base.

I assume you are buying yours back in the US, or on US pricing to ship back sometime?

Here a stripped out S6 (alcantara seats, no driver aids, no Bose etc) with the essentials of sport diff and sport exhaust is going to be about the same price as a fully loaded S4 Avant. Which is my price limit. The steering in the B9 is WAY better than in the C7, it is much lighter and more agile, yet the interior room is not that much different in real terms.

The only reason for me to be mulling over the S4 vs S6 is the 4.0TT V8. And the fact that it is my A7 that is going, and my wife never wants to sell the S5.
All true, and after a year in Europe so far, I have a better appreciation of the cost differences associated with buying and maintaining an auto here. In short: expensive!

I am fortunate to have a specialized US military car buying program for overseas members. When the S4 becomes available for order, I can get a custom built, US-spec version to be delivered straight from the factory to my local (Germany) village Military AutoSource (MAS) center. The cost savings are enormous. There is no dealer mark-up, as there is no dealer. Just the cost of managing the program and paying the employees. I also won't owe any sales tax (VAT), which in Germany amounts to 19%. My military status exempts me from paying customs/import tax on the sale of the car when I ship it to the US in a couple years. All told, I'm looking at ~$60K for a fully optioned prestige model. If an RS4 miraculously becomes available for the US, I will definitely consider it, should the price increase prove reasonable.

Last edited by dbuxton13; 06-14-2016 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
And for a dose of excitement and amusement irrelevant to the new S4 (sorry for the OT, Plat) but fun for Audi fans, check this out:

https://youtu.be/1IXHhGeOO6g

I enjoyed that video, and rather informative. In fact, I will now make it relevant to the S4...

The RS6 has less power than the R8 (552hp vs 610hp) and (what? Do my eyes deceive?) lo and behold it has the ZF8HP versus the dual clutch gearbox in the R8.

Which one pulls away faster off the line? With no launch control and a heavier avant body? In the lead well past 100kph? That's right, the lowly ZF torque converter transmission. The R8 eventually overtakes with its greater power. But nonetheless, at some point the ZF8HP bashing needs to stop, it's a great gearbox!

Last edited by dbuxton13; 06-13-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
I enjoyed that video, and rather informative. In fact, I will now make it relevant to the S4...

The RS6 has less power than the R8 (552hp vs 610hp) and (what? Do my eyes deceive?) lo and behold it has the ZF8HP versus the dual clutch gearbox in the R8.

Which one pulls away faster off the line? With no launch control and a heavier avant body? In the lead well past 100kph? That's right, the lowly ZF torque converter transmission. The R8 eventually overtakes with its greater power. But nonetheless, at some point the ZF8HP bashing needs to stop, it's a great gearbox!
Nice try, LOL!

I think there are two and a half reasons for the RS6 vs R8 result. Firstly, the NA engine in the R8 builds linear torque, whereas the RS6 has the usual FI huge torque plateau down low. So right off the line, even with launch control, the R8 has a big torque deficit to the RS6.

Secondly, the R8 uses a (much modified) Haldex V AWD system, vs the crown gear self-locking centre differential AWD in the RS6 ( and which is also in the S4 ). The Haldex in the mid engined R8 has a strong rear bias, with the weight transfer to the rear on take-off, the R8 is struggling to get enough drive out of the front. The RS6/S4 quattro system works better here.

The half is because Matt jumped the start in the RS6

But I will stop bashing for now.

Automann has released a static Talking clip, first half in English, where he talks specifically about the new engine, how he finds it compared to the supercharger version, and how it compares to the Mercedes-AMG C43 he drove the week prior. Which I found relevant and interesting. His personal car is an S3, for the record.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by westwest888
I find the B9 A4 to be totally adequate. The S4 has to be amazing.
No argument on the A4's abilities.

The issue is whether they have added anything "extra" to the S4 which makes this version distinctly more sporting than the standard range. In the US, this distinction is manipulated by Audi America because you cannot option an A4 with a V6, with adaptive sports suspension, with sports differential, with full S line treatment, etc.

But here in (my part of) Europe, you can. So I am looking at just what that "extra" from being an S model actually is, or is it "just" an A4 with a bigger engine. It is more about character and emotion than anything on a spec sheet.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

A4 Limousine > Audi Deutschland

Good grief, you weren't kidding about the options. That motor list at Audi.de has about 50 different configurations of motor/transmission variants.

One minor detail though, the A4 3.0L is diesel only, correct? Aren't the engine and torque characteristics different between TDI and TFSI? Unless I'm wrong, the best performance is still found in the TFSI 3.0L which is only on the S4, no?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
A4 Limousine > Audi Deutschland

Good grief, you weren't kidding about the options. That motor list at Audi.de has about 50 different configurations of motor/transmission variants.

One minor detail though, the A4 3.0L is diesel only, correct? Aren't the engine and torque characteristics different between TDI and TFSI? Unless I'm wrong, the best performance is still found in the TFSI 3.0L which is only on the S4, no?
Yes, two versions of the 3.0TDI. I have only driven the high output version, which has the ZF8 (the lower output version of the 3.0TDI has S tronic). It has ~270hp vs 354hp in the S4. But it has more torque: ~440ft-lbs vs 369ft-lbs in the S4. The TDI engine is heavier than the TFSI engine - by a lot. The S4 is closer in weight to the A4 quattro 2.0TFSI than the 3.0TDI. The diesel is quick in the mid range, didn't feel so quick off the line to me - a bit lazy. It's a diesel - there is no top end power, all about riding the torque between 1500 and 4000rpm. Audi rates the 3.0TDI 0-100kph performance exactly half way between the quattro 2.0TFSI and the S4. I'm not a big diesel fan, although can understand the attraction for some. They'll sell way more of the quattro 3.0TDI than the S4 because of the fuel consumption difference.

But I don't think the S4 will appear in dealerships (in Germany) until August. The configurator should finally go live within the next two weeks or so. Not sure where that leaves you, as I assume you cannot order until Audi America have signed off on packaging. That may not be for a while, so you will probably be able to drive it before being able to place an order anyway.

Hopefully Audi have some system in place to change your GPS map software when the car eventually goes over the pond. Or as it is a US spec, maybe it is pre-loaded with NA maps? I guess you can use Google maps via MMI or the smart phone MMI interface whilst in Europe if that is the case. I'm not up with that stuff.