S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

19" Summer Tire Experiences - Which Brand/Tire is Best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcas367
I am running into the same decision here too. Just picked up a 2021 S4 with the Bridgestones on it and live in PA where I need winter tires. With much of the year being cold, I am considering selling my Potenzas (700 miles on them right now) and just getting the Michelin 4S All seasons. My 2018 S4 had the factory pirelli all seasons and I never had an issue.
Yeah, tough call, especially since we're halfway to fall. Were your previous Pirelli all seasons the stock 18s? Or 19s?

Also, are your current Bridgestones 18s or 19s?
Old 07-20-2021, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through the same dilemma with my 21 S4 that came with the 19” Bridgestones. Decided to replace them with the Michelin 4S AS, and briefly tried to sell the Bridgestones. Got an offer for two of them, but didn’t want to split up the set. I really don’t mind keeping them, as I might put them back on for summer driving at a later time. That being said, the Michelins drive fantastic, and I really didn’t see a performance drop off in dry conditions; they shine in wet conditions, and will hopefully prove their worth during the tough NE winters we always have. Overall, I don’t think you can go wrong with the Michelin 4S AS if you want to avoid swapping tires between seasons and still enjoying performance.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentHump
I went through the same dilemma with my 21 S4 that came with the 19” Bridgestones. Decided to replace them with the Michelin 4S AS, and briefly tried to sell the Bridgestones. Got an offer for two of them, but didn’t want to split up the set. I really don’t mind keeping them, as I might put them back on for summer driving at a later time. That being said, the Michelins drive fantastic, and I really didn’t see a performance drop off in dry conditions; they shine in wet conditions, and will hopefully prove their worth during the tough NE winters we always have. Overall, I don’t think you can go wrong with the Michelin 4S AS if you want to avoid swapping tires between seasons and still enjoying performance.
Thanks Brent! I assume your 4S AS are 19s? Curious how your 4S 4S's perform compared to the Bridgestones, particularly when it comes to steering feel. On first drive, the Bridgestones didn't feel as sharp/crisp as I had hoped. They didn't feel like 19s to me at all... almost like 17s, which was odd. Can't quite tell yet how much of that is the steering setup vs. the tires/rubber. It was most noticeable when making tiny adjustments left/right, left/right, left/right on the highway, if that makes sense. Just didn't feel as planted.

Last edited by Smith837; 07-21-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They’re the 19s. Steering feel is the S4’s only shortcoming (IMHO) and the Michelins exacerbate that just a bit in terms of sharpness and response. I’m coming from an older hydraulic setup in my previous car, so feeling through the wheel has been a little bit of a letdown, but response is still really solid, even with the Michelins. Much better than anticipated for an AS tire in dry conditions, and they seem to be glued to the road in wet conditions. Looking forward to see how they perform in the winter, but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them so far.