S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

[Advice Required] Trunk Subwoofer Replacement Using Stock Amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Advice Required] Trunk Subwoofer Replacement Using Stock Amp

Hey guys,

My B&O sub has decided to leave the chat.

I am replacing it with the Ampire Bold 6.5 as it was the easiest to get in to Australia out of all I could locate on @Bobby Kinstle 's spreadsheet. (Would be awesome if he is the man to help here).

I am just wondering how I go about wiring it back in to the stock amp if I wire it the same as the current woofer that is in there, or if I only use one input and wire parallel?

If I could just get told what colours to plug where that would be awesome.

Cheers in advance.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by apprehends
I am just wondering how I go about wiring it back in to the stock amp if I wire it the same as the current woofer that is in there, or if I only use one input and wire parallel?.
I meant wire in series? I believe thats where you go from one positive to the other negative?
Old 05-08-2024, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

THe stock subwoofer has two amplifiers one for each voice coil. It can drive 4 ohms each, so buy a 4 ohm DVC subwoofer with the highest possible efficiency. The ampire has very low efficiency and you are never going to get satisfactory output from the factory sub. Looks for something with an efficiency closer to 90dB like the Kicker Comp C10
Old 05-08-2024, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
THe stock subwoofer has two amplifiers one for each voice coil. It can drive 4 ohms each, so buy a 4 ohm DVC subwoofer with the highest possible efficiency. The ampire has very low efficiency and you are never going to get satisfactory output from the factory sub. Looks for something with an efficiency closer to 90dB like the Kicker Comp C10
Is the kicker comp c10 a 10"? So only suiting the rear deck.

I have an avant so only the trunk one under the spare wheel.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Comp C10 works fine with stock amp/wiring, it tightens up the sound quite abit compared to stock (thx apprehends for the advice a few years ago ).

But this is my experience on a sedan with free air installation, not sure if that assessment would change with a wagon however.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pleedell
Comp C10 works fine with stock amp/wiring, it tightens up the sound quite abit compared to stock (thx apprehends for the advice a few years ago ).

But this is my experience on a sedan with free air installation, not sure if that assessment would change with a wagon however.
I believe you may have credited the wrong person.

Yeah I can't go Comp C10 for 2 reasons:
1. I have a wagon...
2. The only way to get them easily in Australia is to order one already installed in a box and remove it.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of good options for the wagon unless you are willing to have a sub box. None of the 6.5" subwoofer drivers are high enough efficiency to deliver a good output from the factory amp.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
Unfortunately there aren't a lot of good options for the wagon unless you are willing to have a sub box. None of the 6.5" subwoofer drivers are high enough efficiency to deliver a good output from the factory amp.
@Bobby Kinstle
I'm not concerned about it being a good option as long as it's comparable to the stock as my stock one **** itself.

I pretty much just want to wire the Ampire one, in the stock box, regardless of performance and was wondering what wires to run where on the sub.

I was doing some testing on the wiring tonight and for some reason the orange and yellow wires don't have any sort of power running through them, however, the green and black do.

I will be having a custom sub and aftermarket amp installed at some point, but I need a temp solution just to get some sort of subwoofer back in the car.

Last edited by apprehends; 05-10-2024 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

OK let me put it in clearer terms, the ampire woofer output is half as loud as the stock sub at the same power level.