S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

You're going to LOVE this CPO buying experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by carstocks
He s keeping pretty quiet and hasn't updated us...
It's only been 2 days. Give him a chance.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's only been 2 days. Give him a chance.
I'm sorry. His post is dated 2/8 and he stated that he would know by the morning of 2/9.

Hopefully he is too busy working out the final details of buying the car and has not had time to post
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by carstocks
He s keeping pretty quiet and hasn't updated us...
The thread on Audizine is more active with subsequent updates.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stereodude
The thread on Audizine is more active with subsequent updates.
This.

The quick update is I got a call from the dealership yesterday afternoon. I did not have the time to call them back.

In the AZ thread there were questions about timing and such. Here is what I wrote:
"Timeline. I was not there, and it is plausible the other customer took the car before I put my deposit down. In fact, that timing is what the sales manager told me. I asked the SM why he didn't know, and how could he let that happen. He said "they are just numbers to me".

So, assuming there was an honest mistake, I asked why we couldn't get the paperwork started right now. He cited "legal reasons". I pushed some more, saying I understand the mistake, but at least I have a deposit, so you can just explain your mistake to them, right?".. From there, I asked him to promise to sell me the car first thing in the morning (i.e. this morning) when the car had been returned. He said he could not do that. He said things like "what if they pay cash", "what if they give me the listed price", etc.

There is plausibility in their story (though it doesn't feel right). Regardless, the Sales Manager is the one that made the whole thing feel slimy."

Also, here is what I have from a documentation standpoint:
I also have a picture of the VIN showing the configuration.
I have a copy their deposit form with the VIN written on it, stapled to a run of my Amex. The price and mileage of the car are not listed, only the VIN.
I have an email saying "Here is the scenario we spoke about on the phone" with the price, plus some additional fees. In that thread is also where I sent them a copy of my License and proof of insurance.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What does your paperwork say? Is it binding by both parties?
A sales order is usually not treated as a contract such as a purchase agreement when you finalize the sale. For example, the biyer can cancel and get a deposit back in most states. I your case it doesn't sound like you even have a proper sales order.
In any case, I would get my deposit back and run, not walk, and find another car. I wouldn't want to deal with these guys, especially long distance. There are always more cars. My 2 cents.

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-10-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
What does your paperwork say? Is it binding by both parties?
A sales order is usually not treated as a contract such as a purchase agreement when you finalize the sale. For example, the biyer can cancel and get a deposit back in most states. I your case it doesn't sound like you even have a proper sales order.
In any case, I would get my deposit back and run, not walk, and find another car. I wouldn't want to deal with these guys, especially long distance. There are always more cars. My 2 cents.
I don't have a proper sales order, which would have the current odometer and such. At this point, I don't want to deal with them.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
I don't have a proper sales order, which would have the current odometer and such. At this point, I don't want to deal with them.
Probably a very wise decision. As you know, buying a car unseen out of state has its own challenges and this dealer appears to be less than straight forward adding to your frustration. Even if they decide to sell you the car at this point, passing on the deal could avoid further heartache

There are six Audi dealers in Colorado; surely, given a chance and a some time, one of these can find you the car you want. While it's been several years ago when I lived in the Denver area, I purchased my first two Audis from McDonald Audi in Littleton and had good experiences, particularly with the above average service department. Perhaps they could help locate the perfect S4 for you.
Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW...

I got the call yesterday from the sales person, asking for the sales. I told him that the experience with the sales manager left me with cold feet, and I did not feel comfortable buying the car. I said the mistake was one thing, but the way the SM handled it felt "slimy, for lack of a better word".

I could hear the disappointment in his voice. He said the CPO manager was on vacation, and we were dealing with the new car sales manager, which I took as gentle defensiveness. I said I might feel better in a month.

He said, without me soliciting he'd reverse the deposit charge.

I've cooled off quite a bit on the emotion side. Yes, the tactic was slimy. It's a shame to say this, but in the end, they are car salesmen. Making a move like they did is unfortunately stereotypical. It failed, and in the end they'll sell the car to someone else.

Last edited by Tweakophyte; 02-12-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Went through the same experience in attempting to buy a CPO 2012 e550. I tested the car on a Thursday afternoon and left a deposit. Called on Friday morning to make arrangements to pickp on Saturday. Was told no problem on Friday, when I received the paperwork Friday night late, it had a bunch of extra junk tagged on to the bill. When I questioned the extras, they got dodgy. Saturday, they told my they had sold the car to another person Thursday Evening. Basically, they used me to pressure the other buyer. They told me to wait the week to see if the other buyer backed out. Slimmy dealership. I found a better deal and dealership for a CPO 2013 S4. Very happy the E550 deal fell through.

Not uncommon i found out later for a dealer to use two buyer against each other, to rack up the price. Sounds like what they did to you.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Man....sorry to hear that. My experience was obviously much better, though not w/o it's bumps. You'll find the right one soon enough!

Quick Reply: You're going to LOVE this CPO buying experience