S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Winter Tire Setup (Good Deal at Tirerack)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tire Setup (Good Deal at Tirerack)

First off I saw these tires in a post on Audizine, so big thanks to that person, but I called Tire Rack and my saleman said that these tires would fit, but would not have a high enough load rating, a garage around here say different though.
Wanted to make sure these would be acceptable for winter on my stock 19" Peelers, fit without issues, etc.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....25XL&tab=Sizes

It seems to good a deal to pass up and I wanted to you my stock rims for winter, and get new ones for summer.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

XL Load Range is what's spec'd on the wagons. The tires shows a 93V rating in your link.

What is the rating on your OE spec tires?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMiller270
First off I saw these tires in a post on Audizine, so big thanks to that person, but I called Tire Rack and my saleman said that these tires would fit, but would not have a high enough load rating, a garage around here say different though.
Wanted to make sure these would be acceptable for winter on my stock 19" Peelers, fit without issues, etc.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....25XL&tab=Sizes

It seems to good a deal to pass up and I wanted to you my stock rims for winter, and get new ones for summer.
The load rating on those is high enough for our car. I remember when purchasing mine that the minimum was 1360lb. or something like that. These blizzaks don't have as high a load rating as the stock tires, but they are still within the manufacturers spec.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think there is a thread on this forum about this deal somewhere... a couple guys had already put in their orders.

My only concern is a 19" tire for snow, I would think we'd want to at least move down to an 18". Mind you, living in Toronto we don't get that many big snow storms per year I guess.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pbcsd
I think there is a thread on this forum about this deal somewhere... a couple guys had already put in their orders.

My only concern is a 19" tire for snow, I would think we'd want to at least move down to an 18". Mind you, living in Toronto we don't get that many big snow storms per year I guess.
I run 19" Blizzaks and have no issues. They are mounted on the OEM wheels below in my signature.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm gonna go ahead and order them up.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

here in Mass we dont get that much snow.

How are there tires on dry roads?

How is the wear rate?

anyone just go all season for winter tires?

great deal btw
Old 09-14-2011, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I run Blizzak on my daughter's FWD car in Mass. She finds they're great for snow but not so good for rain/slush.

I run Michelin Alpin's in the Winter and they're superb snow/slush/rain. I got 18" Rial DH rims and Alpins pre-mounted from Tirerack. They're actually more 'comfortable' than my stock 19" 5-Y-spoke with Pirelli P-Zero's (taller sidewall and softer compound).
Old 09-14-2011, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You will have no problem with those tires. That's a ridiculous price. There is a good chance the LM-25's are being replaced by the LM-60's. I had the LM-25's a couple years ago and experienced some serious cupping during my 3rd season on the tires. It started at about 14-15,000 miles.

Another thing to consider is that since these are being closed out, once they are unavailable if you get a flat that is un-repairable you will be put into a situation where you will have to make a decision to put a non matching tire on the car...or replace all 4 tires (which would be the safer option). This would end up being more expensive in the long run. So maybe you buy 5? Just something to consider.

Last edited by redrocker55; 09-14-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dieseldan
here in Mass we dont get that much snow.
Dan, are U on Cape Cod? The rest of the state had near-record snow fall this past season. I think it was in excess of 100" in the suburban (Boston) area we live in.

Guys, just a quick heads up on Tire Rack's close out stuff. I did the same deal a few years ago and the Blizzaks they shipped me were a full 5 years old. I was NOT happy about that. You might want to force the issue with them prior to purchase.

Quick Reply: Winter Tire Setup (Good Deal at Tirerack)