S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Why SD cards?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by William Wynn
How about an SD Card for Dummies? How do you get itunes on these cards and is it worth doing. What brand and capacity should one buy? I have no clue.

I agree; give us a hard drive; why mess with these things?
I would try doubletwist. It allow you to sync to Itunes.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks guys for this thread...it motivated me to check into using the SD card slots...I couldn't be happier. And I would really be surprised if there is a car on the market today that makes it easier to transfer songs to the hard drive.

Transfer 300 songs to SD card...about 4 minutes.

Transfer those songs to hard drive via SD card...about 4 minutes.

Very nice.

In my Sync equiped Expedition...I have to burn CD's and then burn those CD's to the hard drive...such a hassle.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Assuming using an external HD is the better-quality solution vice iPOD:

How does the browsing experience from a HD compare to the user-friendly iPOD control that I was so impressed with on my test drive?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by helix139
iPods are generally incapable of outputting a digital signal over the standard dock interface. The only way it could conceivably be done (and not having studied the hardware I don't even know if this is possible) is with a complex app that would have to bypass the DAC and output a digital signal over the standard mini jack, or a custom app that would process and output the digital signal over other pins on the dock, but this would require custom wiring, and both of those would require a custom solution to receive the signal as it isn't the standard analog line out that the doc connection normally outputs.

The reason this is the case is because the recording industry would throw a fit if Apple sold a device that would allow a person to easily transport and output a perfect digital copy of a copyrighted work. In other words, this is just another form of copy protection.

So in summary, you cannot readily and easily output digital sound from an iPod or other MP3 player. It will always output an analog waveform subject to interference and the inherent loss in all analog transmission and conversion back and forth from analog to digital.
Now hold on a minute. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but you can certainly use an ipod as a disk drive. Sure, Ii's not possible to output from an ipod directly into the jukebox through the ipod dock, but it's very easy to output digital music from an ipod into itunes (except for music bought from the itunes store) on any computer and then output the music from the computer in whatever format you choose - for example onto CDs, onto SDs or onto another iPod. The most well-known programs are "Music Rescue" and "Senuti". Apple doesn't support these programs and tries to pretend you can't use an iPod in this fashion, but you definitely can do it.

Last edited by LeadToRome; 07-13-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
Now hold on a minute. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but you can certainly use an ipod as a disk drive. Sure, Ii's not possible to output from an ipod directly into the jukebox through the ipod dock, but it's very easy to output digital music from an ipod into itunes (except for music bought from the itunes store) on any computer and then output the music from the computer in whatever format you choose - for example onto CDs, onto SDs or onto another iPod. The most well-known programs are "Music Rescue" and "Senuti". Apple doesn't support these programs and tries to pretend you can't use an iPod in this fashion, but you definitely can do it.
There is a difference between outputting in a file format and outputting a music file as a digital sound signal. the transfer protocols are very different and the processing is very different. My point was that you cannot easily output a digital sound signal from an iPod through either the mini-jack or the dock connection. Conceiveably, you could access your iPod in disk mode, but the songs you store on the iPod in disk mode are inaccessible to the iPod when it is functioning as a music player, and vice versa. You'd need a custom software solution on the receiving unit(as I mentioned) that would not only access the files on the iPod without the use of disk mode but decode them and output a digital signal, or you'd need twice the storage space on your iPod to have two copies (one in disk mode and one in iPod mode) and at that point it would become more cost effective to purchase a dedicated storage device. Even then, the iPod would not be outputting a digital signal. The receiving unit would be reading data on the iPod and doing its own processing and digital signal output.

Kind of splitting hairs, but I hope I made sense.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I use the AMI for the USB flah drive. Ive got a 32GB stick that have LOTS of music, maybe 100 CD's worth. That beats carrying a book of a hundred CD's.