S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What would you pay for a lightly used 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carguyrob
I personally think an offer of $47,500 is completely unrealistic and just a low-ball not to be taken seriously...even if it were a trade in. The dealer isn't going to cut their margins just because you can order a new one with the Zag discount. They can sell it to the next buyer that would have to order one without a special purchase discount for a grand off of sticker.

Look at what used ones are listed for on cars.com and/or autotrader. $47.5k is the pricing for a 2010 with 18K miles on it!
"Unrealistic" is the definitely the appropriate verbage
Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tucker74
Interesting. My assumption is that it was registered since the dealer stated it was a trade-in, but I'll ask the specific question. If not, then what you all are suggesting certainly makes sense, but if was "owned" then and I think my offer is reasonable.
Why would someone buy a new car and trade it in with 1k miles? I got to believe it was a dealer demo beaten on pretty well or a problem car. I could be wrong obviously as I have no knowledge of the situation but it would have to be a really good deal and or Audi certified for me to consider that. Also, have them print out and show the cars records.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by no cell
Why would someone buy a new car and trade it in with 1k miles? I got to believe it was a dealer demo beaten on pretty well or a problem car. I could be wrong obviously as I have no knowledge of the situation but it would have to be a really good deal and or Audi certified for me to consider that. Also, have them print out and show the cars records.
I traded in a black a5 at 1500 miles because I realized I hated the color. It's not uncommon for someone to decide they don't like something about the car like the ride or engine. If the car was titles then it wasn't a demo
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

actually, people with disposable income do it all the time. Celene Dion lives not far from the dealership I am ordering my S4from and she bought an SUV awhile back. 2 months later she trdaed it in for a different model.

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 12-08-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
I traded in a black a5 at 1500 miles because I realized I hated the color. It's not uncommon for someone to decide they don't like something about the car like the ride or engine. If the car was titles then it wasn't a demo
Yup. In florida, a car doesnt even have to be titled until it hits 4K miles. They use to call them Brass Hats (a car that is driven by an executive) but I bought a 1994 corvete brass hat with 2200 miles on it many many years ago. It was never officially titled so i was listed as the 1st owner.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I guess this is the car?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

And this is the Carfax:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=COO_0
Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would pay a price that's comfortable to me, plain and simple.

I know from the dealer's perspective, whether or not the car was titled makes a difference. Frankly, as a buyer, I could care less about that because what's more important to me is how those 1,000 miles were clocked.

If it's a demo, I'd run far and fast. Have you ever test driven an S4? How did you drive it? Imagine doing that several hundred times to a car in its infancy? Sure, it may turn out to be okay, but several stops and starts will age a car.

If it was used, then one has to wonder why it was turned in so soon. Sure, there are Celine Dions in this world, but I'd say that's more the exception than the rule. Was there an accident? I had a 2005 S4 that suffered $30k in damage and Carfax, to this day, still shows a perfect record.

I think it comes down to weighing the mileage/condition versus the discount. I would probably extend your offer of $47,500, and see what they say. I probably wouldn't go above $48.5-49k. To me, 1,000 miles, whether demoed or used, are 1,000 miles and I'd want a compelling enough of a discount to take on the risk. Of course, a brand new S4 with 20 or so miles can easily be problematic or a lemon, but the odds are in your favor.

If the dealer declines, then order a brand new one.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed... Maybe had some issues... thats why traded in... Maybe oil meter...Water pump?>
Old 12-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with others that $47.5 is a bit low for 2011 MY. Last weekend I picked up a 2010 CPO S4 with less than 5K miles, Nav, nappa leather, B&O, 19" wheels, carbon atlas trim and supercharged badges. All for $46.5K. Whatever you decide make sure that car is CPO which offers a piece of mind with 6 year/100K mile warranty.