S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 04:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I too would be concerned that there is no mention of the residual remaining unchanged in the offer letter. To me, it reads as if they will satisfy your current lease and maintain the monthly payment amount along with other terms like mileage, etc.. As to the "contract period will remain the same", it doesn't say if the new lease will use the original, 36 month time period or the time period remaining as is currently. In other words, does the lease reset and start from the beginning with a new 36 months or does it resume as is with the time left as of the transaction date? I can't tell from the statement. I would call them to clarify these things before proceding further. Based on what you learn, it could affect your whole decision making process and resulting future financial liability.
I will ask that to be clarified in written before I make any further movement. What they have told me is the lease doesn't start afresh. I continue to make payments to my original contract and with the new car, it resumes as is with the time left (which after the special order will be about 25 months). I have been assured that the Residual will not change and I would be able to purchase the S4 or the A4 per the original CC lease contract. They have said that everything will remain the same and as is, it's just the VIN on my contract will change. I do not think there will be any future liability. It just comes down to paying $6185 in 3 months to take delivery of an S4 P+, Sport Diff., B&O, or pay nothing out of my pocket and get the A4 P+, Sport Pkg, B&O. I have been assured that they will also take care of applicable sales tax, dealer fees, title, registration. So literally I show up, give them keys to the CC, pay them $6185 and take home the S4, or just show up, give them keys to the CC and take home the A4 without paying a single cent out of my pocket!

No doubt the S4 is the better deal as it will hold it's value longer. I'm just worried if the model is refreshed, will the value take a big hit? I can see the $6k as something like a security deposit which I can get back... I'm banking on purchasing the car at end of 2 years for $17,400 and then probably within 12 months sell it... I usually don't like to keep my cars longer than 4 years...
Old 10-03-2013, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fireguy40
Having been in similar shoes some two years ago, that is having to make a decision between purchasing an A4 SLine Premium Plus and an S4 Premium Plus (Canadian cars), and ultimatley deciding to purchase the A4, I have no regrets.

I put both vehicles through their paces in test drives and while the S4 had more power (1 of only 2 relevant noticable differences between it and the A4) I was quite happy with the fun factor, ride and handling the A4 in Dynamic Mode delivered (would this be the same as Sport Package in US?) - and it was 8k less. For me it was a no brainer.

I hope this helps feed your thought process - in the end, to each his own.

Good luck.
That is some sound advice. Surprisingly, my gf said the same thing. She said visually the cars look very similar. The A4 with sport pkg. also has the S-Line badges on the car, so the looks are similar. She asked me if $5-$6k was enough for the extra power as equipment wise, it would be the same. I drove the A4 in Dynamic mode and if I got that, that's all I would drive it in. The comfort mode wasn't all that. It felt like the car had ample power. The S4, well that's an S4.

So if I go with A4, I get the sport leather seats, the B&O sound and the 2.0 Quattro 8-Sp Auto tranny.

The S4, I get Alacantara Seats, the B&O sound, Sport Diff. & the V6T with DSG tranny!!!

For Cleveland driving, where my 17 miles to/from work is on a straight freeway 90, with just 2 exit ramps to worry about, a) will the sport diff really matter? and b) Is that enough to justify $5k-$6k of CASH going out?

I'm not trying to annoy anyone here (apologies in advance if I do), but I've never had an Audi before and these are just some questions that are popping in my head. I maybe making it a difficult decision for myself. But this time I want to take an educated and good decision. I got the CC as an impulse buy and a week later, I wasn't 100% happy with it!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So my A4 has Alcantera Sport Seats, DSG and I think 60-40 sport diff.

Sounds like options/standard equip between Can and US cars is different i.e. not comparing apples to apples here.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Alright guys. I've decided to go with the S4. Now with 2014, Audi Drive Select is standard. So I can select Dynamic, Auto, or Comfort. I don't really care about NAV or individual settings. I have not driven an S4 with Sport Diff. My mind has been going bonkers reading the 'must have' side and the 'non-SD' side. For a normal daily driving with the twisty roads of Ohio, (and no track) would spending $1100 on the Sport Diff make sense? Or should I save that money and put it towards Better wheels or Audicare? As it is, I would have to give $6185 Cashier's Check to get into this S4. ($5085 if I do not select the Sport Diff). I can easily spend that money towards buying Audicare and the 19" better looking wheels...
Old 10-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess I should also add that on a clover leaf exit ramp (suggested speed was 25mph) I was still able to do a 60mph on a test drive that did not have the Sport Diff. Will the $1100 make that much of a difference?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by ssedha
I guess I should also add that on a clover leaf exit ramp (suggested speed was 25mph) I was still able to do a 60mph on a test drive that did not have the Sport Diff. Will the $1100 make that much of a difference?
Hell yes it will. The sport diff is the one and only MUST HAVE feature on the car. Everything else is secondary. You simply won't believe the G forces you can pull in corners with the sport diff and it dramatically reduces, in most cases eliminates, understeer. You will need to do extra conditioning for your facial muscles as the sport diff will contort your face into new shapes never seen before and if you try to talk in a corner, you'll sound retarded as your lips disobey their commands to form common sounds.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
Hell yes it will. The sport diff is the one and only MUST HAVE feature on the car. Everything else is secondary. You simply won't believe the G forces you can pull in corners with the sport diff and it dramatically reduces, in most cases eliminates, understeer. You will need to do extra conditioning for your facial muscles as the sport diff will contort your face into new shapes never seen before and if you try to talk in a corner, you'll sound retarded as your lips disobey their commands to form common sounds.
It doesn't transform into a RWD. It does help coming out of a turn. I wouldn't say don't get it but I wouldn't critize if you didn't. Also, although I plan to track, it won't be with my s4. Not to say the sport diff is only for the track, I just wouldn't use it much on the street and it's not the difference maker for me to put my s4 on the track

Last edited by Nicky_do_it; 10-04-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright guys. I've decided to go with the S4. Now with 2014, Audi Drive Select is standard. So I can select Dynamic, Auto, or Comfort. I don't really care about NAV or individual settings. I have not driven an S4 with Sport Diff. My mind has been going bonkers reading the 'must have' side and the 'non-SD' side. For a normal daily driving with the twisty roads of Ohio, (and no track) would spending $1100 on the Sport Diff make sense? Or should I save that money and put it towards Better wheels or Audicare? As it is, I would have to give $6185 Cashier's Check to get into this S4. ($5085 if I do not select the Sport Diff). I can easily spend that money towards buying Audicare and the 19" better looking wheels...
Right on! Good choice.

The sport diff is also very helpful on snow and ice, so it's not just for track use. I would opt fr the sport diff over wheels in a heartbeat. Audi Care is valuable for me since I'm not one to do my own oil changes. I think I read that having Audi Care improves your lease scenario. I've never leased so I don't know exactly what people meant, but it had something to do with your residual I think.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2014 S4 has been ordered. The only option I went for was the B&O Sound.

2014 Audi S4 Premium Plus
Monsoon Gray Metallic
Black Interior
Bang & Olufsen Sound
All Season Tires

I drove two S4s back to back (one with Diff, one without). And even when I was pushing both, I really could not spot a major difference. So I figured that's something I could live without. I could also live without the cosmetic stuff like the 19" Wheels / Carbon Atlas etc. Got a commission number, now the wait begins
Old 10-07-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

As far as lease terms go, I was paying $395 a month for a 2013 VW CC Lux. The terms were 3 yrs / 15k a year. So what I've been told is that my original contract will not change. Meaning the CC's VIN gets replaced by Audi's VIN. I have already made 9 payments and have 27 remaining. And yes, that's what I have been told that I can buy out my S4 at the end of my lease for $17,4XX. The cash is what I have to pay as the cost difference of my CC vs the S4 is nearly 13k. So I have to pay them a cashier's check of $5k at time of delivery. I want the S4, but my dad's a financial analyst and he has suggested keeping the cash with me. He says what any financial analyst would say - you cannot predict the market conditions. Haha.

BTW, searched some threads and read different things as far as purchasing/selling to 3rd party before lease ends. I called VW and if I go to Carmax to sell my car, VW says the payoff will be the same regardless of dealership.

Also have been told that they will have to special order the car (both A4 & S4) so it won't be before 3 months I get the replacement. So by the time I get the car, I will have 2 yrs left on my lease and a contractual allotment of 45k miles. Ran numbers today and based on Sept. numbers, 3 yr 15k/yr residual was at 55% for S4, and 54% for the A4.

So on another note, I don't really track the car. Never been (doesn't mean I can't start), but do I really need the Sport Differential? It adds $1100 to my payoff!!!
does it maintain your residual in terms of % (eg 54%) or $? kind of important to figure out before you sign a new lease don't you think?

also bad move on all season tires, comes with a 135mph limiter

also your dad is a terrible financial analyst. the resale value on a 55k S4 after 2 years with <40k miles on it will be a lot higher than $17k, "you don't know market conditions" rofl

Quick Reply: What would you do?