S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What happened to DSG Reprogramming?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the e-mail. I appreciate the feedback, and will do my best to relay your sediments to the powers that be.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Darryl@HPAMotorsport
That's a good question! I'm not one of the engineers, but these could be many reasons.

It's characteristics are much different than the DSG we typically program...I think it is more a matter of committing the time required...

When our 2.0 program and Golf R launch are completed, the DSG program for S4 and 7speed will likely take a front seat.

Send me an e-mail to darryl@hpamotorsport.com and I'll put you on a notification list, if you have not done so already.
Darryl, Thanks for chiming in... Your comment above allows me to infer that you folks have at least looked at the tranny/tune... What makes are DSG so different? What can we expect from a HPA tune? Launch control? riased redline? firmer shift? what else? Also, with the engine mods out now and an upgraded blower around the corner how do you think our DSG will hold up? Honestly, I am fairly happy with my DSG(cutting 1.6x 60's and most times shifting flawlessly) but I was hoping for more... Can you comment on my video below... watch the tach fall back a few hundred RPM after the 3rd gear shift... Any idea why it is doing that? Thanks and I'll email you to be put on your list... I will purchase the day this tune comes out so please make the tune

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2824849
Old 04-12-2012, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by primetime
Darryl, Thanks for chiming in... Your comment above allows me to infer that you folks have at least looked at the tranny/tune... What makes our DSG so different?
Every DSG will have different characteristics based upon its original programming and the engine it is designed to work with. As our knowledge/experience with the S4 engines (admittingly) is not extensive, there is a learning curve there.

What can we expect from a HPA tune? Launch control? riased redline? firmer shift?
All 3 would be totally reasonable to expect...

Also, with the engine mods out now and an upgraded blower around the corner how do you think our DSG will hold up?]
Our DSG software has ben known to hold up well beyond 500HP + 500FT/LBS TQ in many of our previous HPA builds. With the appropriate software (and hardware in most instances) application, our tune will be albe to handle anything the S4 can throw at it...

Can you comment on my video below... watch the tach fall back a few hundred RPM after the 3rd gear shift... Any idea why it is doing that? https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2824849
E-mail this to my HPA co-worker Keir (sales@hpamotorsport.com). His expereince with the DSG is greater than mine. He should be able to provide you with some good feedback.

and thanks for the e-mail....
Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Darryl, Thanks again! I sent the video over... I appreciate your honesty and really look forward to the tune... Also, if you need any real world testing at the strip or on the street with datalogging via vagcom or v-box let me know as I would be glad to help... Thanks Ron
Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Darryl, Thanks again! I sent the video over... I appreciate your honesty and really look forward to the tune... Also, if you need any real world testing at the strip or on the street with datalogging via vagcom or v-box let me know as I would be glad to help... Thanks Ron
No worries...thank you!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Please let the engineers note that the 2009/2010 models have a different DSG than those in the 2011+ years if they are not already aware.
To confirm, the 2010 B8 S4 DSG is different than 2011+ B8 S4 DSGs? Minor differences only? I'm thinking the only difference is launch control related, but am I missing anything else? Thanks, just curious!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a lot of back and forth about this, and I can't find the post offhand, but it came back that there is actually a different part number for the entire transmission for the 09 and 10 models compared to the 11/12 models. Some of that is that Audi went with their own new center crown gear diff, as well as LC enabled. Unsure of the specifics as to what else, but the 11/12 version shares the same part number as that in the RS5.

Here's some nice detail on the 2010 DSG

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-tronic-(DL501)

Some of the info there is quite dated, as Audi has finally admitted a mistake and that ALL need fluid maintenance at 35K miles.