S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What do you guys use to polish your exhaust tips?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
The heat doesn't mess up the wax?
Nope. It's metal wax, and the tips don't get THAT hot compared to the rest of the exhaust.

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-metal-wax.html

Collinite is very well known and trusted in industrial applications. Their 845 is amazing for protecting paint on cars, originally designed to wax the giant ceramic insulators used on high voltage power transfer lines to prevent power arcs.

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-in...r-wax-845.html

I know there are some really expensive amazing products out there, but I cannot tell the difference between those and Collinite, except that with the VERY inexpensive Collinite, I can go 3-4 months easily between waxing with several washes in between without removing the wax or harming the beading of water and paint protection.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this product called neverdull, it comes in a silver can works wonders.

Edit: should have read the first few posts, lol
Old 05-06-2014, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Nope. It's metal wax, and the tips don't get THAT hot compared to the rest of the exhaust.
Hmm I wonder if that stuff would clean up the aluminum roof rails on the allroad too?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:25 PM

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-metal-wax.html

Collinite is very well known and trusted in industrial applications. Their 845 is amazing for protecting paint on cars, originally designed to wax the giant ceramic insulators used on high voltage power transfer lines to prevent power arcs.

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-in...r-wax-845.html

I know there are some really expensive amazing products out there, but I cannot tell the difference between those and Collinite, except that with the VERY inexpensive Collinite, I can go 3-4 months easily between waxing with several washes in between without removing the wax or harming the beading of water and paint protection.
I agree! Been using Collinite 845 for decades and use it as the final step every time I detail our car. Goes on and wipes off easily. Like to use it in the door jambs and also under the lower side rocker rails. Great stuff indeed!

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
Hmm I wonder if that stuff would clean up the aluminum roof rails on the allroad too?
Nevr-Dull works well on aluminum and most other metals too, per their website:
http://www.nevrdull.com/page3.html

I always recommend wearing nitrile or latex gloves when using Nevr-Dull as it removes oxidation from the metal surface being polished and who needs that black stuff on your hands (plus it's mildly smelly).
Old 05-08-2014, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Coke plus Aluminum Foil

The absolute best way to get "like new Chrome" is simple and cheap. Tae a can of Coke (or Pespsi) can be diest too...and some reynolds alumium foil.

You simple pour the Coke onto the foil and rub the foil on thechrome tips of your car. Repeat until the tips shine like brand new.

I learned this handy tip from a detail at Performance BMW in Chapel Hill, NC when I had my 2007 335i.

At first I thought he was crazy....then I tried it and VIOLA!! Works better than anything else out these.

The build up on the chrome melts away like magic.

Has something to do with how the carbonation in the Coke interacts with the Reynolds wrap.

However, it does make you think...if Coke can take all this scorching and crud off my chrome exhaust tips....what does it do to my stomach when I drink it!!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:28 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Collinite No. 850. It's a very fine grit metal polish and wax all in one. Very inexpensive, goes on then right off before it dries, and leaves a wax on the metal that allows a quick wipe with a cloth for months later to remove 99% of any exhaust residue. My polished APR tips look brand new with no scratches using this for years.
Thanks for the knowledge NWS4Guy. I used neverdull a week ago and it never quite got them perfect no matter how hard I tried. 15 minutes with the Collinite 850 and they look like new again and they feel like freshly waxed paint. I'm interested to see how long it lasts. BTW it was available at the local marine shop. Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've used Mothers Billet Metal Polish for years, and it works for me.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05106.html