S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Tinting issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting issues?

My regular tint guy is freaking out a bit over the thought of tinting my not yet purchased S4. He said it's extremely difficult to tint most Audi sedans for some reason I didn't quite catch. Has anyone experienced any reluctance to tint your cars?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The only issue I know of is with the amp in the trunk getting wet. Easy solution is to put a beach towel over the amp and just tell the tint guy to not use a ton of water when doing the back window. My towel didn't even get wet so not a problem. The only other issue is the 3rd brake light in the back window. It is very easy to crack it when removing it, told my tint guy about it and he still broke it. He replaced it so no harm, no fowl.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe85STi
The only other issue is the 3rd brake light in the back window. It is very easy to crack it when removing it, told my tint guy about it and he still broke it. He replaced it so no harm, no fowl.
Unless there was an unwanted chicken involved, I presume you meant "foul".
Old 01-18-2014, 05:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Unless there was an unwanted chicken involved, I presume you meant "foul".
Damn you spell checker for not knowing exactly what I meant haha
Old 01-18-2014, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This probably applies to a number of other cars too, but the steep angle of the rear window with the deck also makes it more difficult to reach the bottom edge and corners. But this shouldn't be an obstacle for any good, experienced window tinter.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy that tinted mine had more of an issue with the driver's window than any other. He got it done and it looks good. I think it took about 3 hours for him to do it and I was there talking to him while he tinted the window. Maybe you should find a different guy/place to get your windows tinted?
Old 01-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ob_1jr
The guy that tinted mine had more of an issue with the driver's window than any other. He got it done and it looks good. I think it took about 3 hours for him to do it and I was there talking to him while he tinted the window. Maybe you should find a different guy/place to get your windows tinted?
Thanks. Do you remember what the issue was with the driver's window? I remember he mentioned something about the side windows, as opposed to the rear window, being a problem.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that you bring it up, I'm reminded that my guy mentioned that Audi has a very tight seal to the window, but I don't recall it causing him any issues.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by david55838
Thanks. Do you remember what the issue was with the driver's window? I remember he mentioned something about the side windows, as opposed to the rear window, being a problem.

he just had issues shaping it and then getting it under the seal, but he had a tool he made himself to get under the seal. All his tool was a piece of sheet metal bent to go over the door panel and pull out the seal. He didn't have the issue with the rest of the windows. The small back triangle windows are kinda a pain because of their location and it is kinda tough to get in there. I was surprised on how much curve is on those little windows.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

They accidentally broke the plastic around the brake light in my back window in the S4 (and paid to fix it) but otherwise didn't mention any issues or concerns. I had my last A6 done at the same place with no issues.

Sounds odd for a tint guy to freak out about any mainstream car, particularly a brand selling as well as Audi right now. I'd find another installer. I have used the same guy for 4 cars, but always check pricing and no installer has any mentioned any issue or concern about Audi sedans when calling around about the A6 or the S4.

Quick Reply: Tinting issues?