S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: What transmission would you recommend on a B8 S4?
I bought a DSG, and wouldn't change it
39.81%
I bought a DSG, but I would recommend/switch to MT6
2.91%
I bought an MT6, and wouldn't change it
45.63%
I bought an MT6, but I would recommend/switch to DSG
0.97%
I don't own a B8 S4 but I would recommend DSG
5.83%
I don't own a B8 S4 but I would recommend MT6
4.85%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Poll: What would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Posting garbage like this is only inflamitory, and serves no purpose, might as well say 6MT drivers are control freaks who need to control the tranmission and every gear because it's one of the only things in their life they can control.
LOL that's funny
Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

MT is becoming vintage. There will still be debate over it for a few years like there was about film vs. digital but it is basically over. There will be improvements on the DSG concept over the years. I don't think any car company is spending money on R&D for a manual anymore
Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Which would be sad, considering driving a MT is much more of an experience and feel. You feel as though you're an extension of the vehicle.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Love my DSG. It's the first 2-pedal car I've owned (to quantify it's my 5th car in 21 years) and I miss the manual transmission just a little bit every single day, but not enough to make me wish I'd bought one. If I did it all again, I'd still choose the DSG.

With that said, if the only 2-pedal option for the S4 were a slushbox, I'd still be driving a manual.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tribe
MT is becoming vintage. There will still be debate over it for a few years like there was about film vs. digital but it is basically over. There will be improvements on the DSG concept over the years. I don't think any car company is spending money on R&D for a manual anymore
+1

Some manufacturers are not offering MT anymore including Ferrari and Lambo. This trend will continue. Try to find a BMW w/ MT on a dealers lot. All are either DCT (i.e. DSG) or Auto. Yes it can be ordered but it is rare sight except for the M-series. Fast-forward to next generation models, it wouldn't surprise me to see dual-clutch and automatic as the two transmission options. Both systems provide a level of interaction with the other control systems (such as stability, ABS, traction, etc).

One can be a case for selecting MT or DSG. Both are good but it comes down to the individual preference. For the moment, be thankful that we have a choice.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One of the strong reasons I am considering the S4 is because it is available in an MT. However, I have never driven their DSG AT so can't speak against it or for it, but again if it has that hesistation all the new drive by wire seems to have I will stick with my MT's while I still can.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why can't we have both? 3 pedals and a gearstick with the option to go automatic? That would suit me.

My S4 is MT (I have driven MT all my life), and I'll be honest - I have trouble driving smoothly (not only driving your Granny around, but also changing up during moderate acceleration). OK I've only done about 2000 miles so things may get better but still, it is a bit of a challenge.

Given that I don't expect to buy another car for many years, I don't doubt that my next car will be automatic. But still, I would much rather that missed/delayed/dodgy gear changes were down to me (I can practice to improve, I can choose to make quick manouvers based on my own ability) rather than down to a computer that might, out of the blue, surprise me.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love having a manual but would have no problems going to a DSG if I could get one that didn't shift for you in manual mode. I like the idea a lot, just not the electronic nannies.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I understand the conflicts here. I'm an interloper in this section - two years ago I replaced my 2000 A4 MT Avant with a 2010 A4 Tiptronic Avant. Had an S4 Avant been available, I would've gone for that. The Avant was only available with Tiptronic. I had to do a lot of soul-searching - the last time I owned an automatic transmission was in 1963 (a '60 T-Bird convertible). I tore out the AT and replaced it with a manual - was able to find all the parts at junkyards and whatnot except for the clutch pedal hanger shaft - had to machine that myself.

Anyway, I think that establishes my creds as a dedicated MT driver. That said, after holding my nose and ordering the AT Avant, I'm actually pretty happy with it. I wish they had offered the DSG, but the Tip ain't too bad. To me, there at two areas where manuals are clearly superior to automatics. One is anticipation - when you see a "situation" coming up, it's nice to be in the right gear to handle it before you find yourself in the middle of it. With the paddle shifters, you can kick it down a gear any time you want, even if you're not in manual mode. I find this extremely useful.

The other area is driving in slippery (ice/snow) conditions. The conventional wisdom is that AWD doesn't help you stop in those circumstances. That's actually not true. If you've got a manual transmission and a fully mechanical AWD system (like Audi and some Subarus), the safest way to drive in snow is to stay in a lower gear than you normally would, and let your sensitive right foot control both acceleration and deceleration (via four-wheel engine braking). I've always thought that automatics weren't good at this - the prejudices of my youth, when the typical automatic had an overrunning clutch in the tailshaft, and had no engine braking at all. Turns out that the Tip (and presumably the DSG as well) has a pretty solid connection to the drivetrain - put it in manual and downshift, or tap the left paddle, and you get (IMO) just as much engine braking as you'd get with a manual.

Bottom line, I'm less unhappy than I thought I'd be - actually verging on happy - modern automatics are pretty cool technology (really wish I'd had the option of the DSG, though).

Edit: For those of you considering coming over to the Dark Side, I've owned the car for two years, and it's been almost a year since I've gone for the clutch pedal in a tense situation. I had almost a half-century of "conditioned reflex" to overcome, which is probably longer than most of you have been alive, let alone driving stick

Last edited by brothers; 04-04-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In a few years, we won't be able to buy manual cars anymore, so take advantage while you can.

With all the HP's the S4 has, I don't need the DSG to make me go any faster. Instead I want to enjoy downshifting when I want to downshift, blipping when I want to blip etc...

I, for one, prefer the 6MT.

When I have my car in for service (335 xDrive 6MT for a couple more weeks, then S4 6MT), they always give me an auto loaner. For the first few minutes I'm like this is ok. Within a day or two, I'm like - get me out of this.

Quick Reply: Transmission Poll: What would you recommend?