S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Tire choices for our S4, any preference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire choices for our S4, any preference?

So last week my front left tire blew out after hitting a pothole hard in San Francisco. No one had tires in 255/35R19s in stock so I ended up paying $80 to get a used Michelin pilot sport put on to not have to drive on donuts. So now I have 3 Dunlop sport max GT and one Michelin. Drives just fine and don't notice much diff since they have similar tread patterns. So now I'm shopping around for a new set and not sure if I should just get two new for the front or replace all four. The front right is pretty worn at 25k miles, but the rears still have a little over 50% life on them.

To make matters worse, the impacted rim is slightly warped. They said that I may feel a slight vibration, but I havent noticed any while driving on the highway. I'll get it fixed anyway since I purchased the wheel and tire coverage as part of my extended warranty. About $150-250 to repair.

My options right now:

- Save money and replace front two with OEM Dunlop' sport max GT
- replace all 4 with OEM Dunlop (I'm happy with them I guess because it performed well for me for 25k miles)
- replace all 4 with Michelin pilot super sport - summer (pricey, but all 10 reviews at tire rack) Same price as dunlop.
- replace all 4 with Michelin pilot super sport A/S (high performance all-seasons) same ballpark price as the summer version
- replace all 4 with inexpensive conti's, Yokohama, or similar brands - summer performance - since city driving will beat them up anyways.
- find used Dunlop from forum members or online.

Since I switched jobs in the city, I drive less than 7k miles/yr. I'm looking for a tire that does not compromise steering responsiveness, quiet ride, and good fuel economy. Contemplating all-season, but I really just want excellent dry and wet performance.

Any other brands I should look at or opinions on what I should do? Thanks!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sf_loft
So last week my front left tire blew out after hitting a pothole hard in San Francisco. No one had tires in 255/35R19s in stock so I ended up paying $80 to get a used Michelin pilot sport put on to not have to drive on donuts. So now I have 3 Dunlop sport max GT and one Michelin. Drives just fine and don't notice much diff since they have similar tread patterns. So now I'm shopping around for a new set and not sure if I should just get two new for the front or replace all four. The front right is pretty worn at 25k miles, but the rears still have a little over 50% life on them.

To make matters worse, the impacted rim is slightly warped. They said that I may feel a slight vibration, but I havent noticed any while driving on the highway. I'll get it fixed anyway since I purchased the wheel and tire coverage as part of my extended warranty. About $150-250 to repair.

My options right now:

- Save money and replace front two with OEM Dunlop' sport max GT
- replace all 4 with OEM Dunlop (I'm happy with them I guess because it performed well for me for 25k miles)
- replace all 4 with Michelin pilot super sport - summer (pricey, but all 10 reviews at tire rack) Same price as dunlop.
- replace all 4 with Michelin pilot super sport A/S (high performance all-seasons) same ballpark price as the summer version
- replace all 4 with inexpensive conti's, Yokohama, or similar brands - summer performance - since city driving will beat them up anyways.
- find used Dunlop from forum members or online.

Since I switched jobs in the city, I drive less than 7k miles/yr. I'm looking for a tire that does not compromise steering responsiveness, quiet ride, and good fuel economy. Contemplating all-season, but I really just want excellent dry and wet performance.

Any other brands I should look at or opinions on what I should do? Thanks!
Well I have 3 used OEM Dunlops with 5-6/32" left on them if you're interested. Name a price, you pay shipping.

Otherwise I'd go with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 (Cheap, very good performance) or Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Best performance, best tread life, stiffest sidewall, not bad on price). I'm currently running the PSS's after undergoing a similar situation to yours and I love them.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by helix139
Well I have 3 used OEM Dunlops with 5-6/32" left on them if you're interested. Name a price, you pay shipping.

Otherwise I'd go with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 (Cheap, very good performance) or Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Best performance, best tread life, stiffest sidewall, not bad on price). I'm currently running the PSS's after undergoing a similar situation to yours and I love them.
Thanks for the offer. I just saw an online deal on onlinetires.com for Michelin and Bridgestone tires. I couldn't pass up the deal and picked up a set of the Michelin PSS for $1,048 with free shipping. I couldn't resist, too many people have been telling me how good their PSS's are and how they are the best set of tires ever owned.

I'll write up a review once I have them delivered and installed.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just put a set of michelin super sports on mine and I'm loving them.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in central Texas and picked mine up in early November and it came with Contis. They are a pretty nice tire but not for $340 ea. When they need to be replaced I'm going to put Sumitomo HTZ IIIs on it. Only about $210 ea for the 19" wheel. Run them before and are not bad for a cheaper tire compared to Dunlop, Bridgestone, and Michelin.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by helix139 "Well I have 3 used OEM Dunlops with 5-6/32" left on them if you're interested. Name a price, you pay shipping.

Otherwise I'd go with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 (Cheap, very good performance) or Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Best performance, best tread life, stiffest sidewall, not bad on price). I'm currently running the PSS's after undergoing a similar situation to yours and I love them."

Do you still have the Dunlops? I will PM you. Thanks

Last edited by Waudi; 12-27-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Foogie
I'm in central Texas and picked mine up in early November and it came with Contis. They are a pretty nice tire but not for $340 ea. When they need to be replaced I'm going to put Sumitomo HTZ IIIs on it. Only about $210 ea for the 19" wheel. Run them before and are not bad for a cheaper tire compared to Dunlop, Bridgestone, and Michelin.
Just had to buy two Sumitomo HTZ III and they aren't quite as good as the Dunlops Max GT but close. The one thing that did bug me is that they look small on the rim when compared to the Dunlops. The Sumitomo is flush with the rim where the Dunlops protrude over the rim a little to give the wheel a fuller look which also helps protect your rim.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pyramid
I just put a set of michelin super sports on mine and I'm loving them.
What Size, Please??

I need to run 245/255 35 19's---- yeah, I know-- but they are a spare set and look great!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Waudi
Just had to buy two Sumitomo HTZ III and they aren't quite as good as the Dunlops Max GT but close. The one thing that did bug me is that they look small on the rim when compared to the Dunlops. The Sumitomo is flush with the rim where the Dunlops protrude over the rim a little to give the wheel a fuller look which also helps protect your rim.
I'll have to see how they compare to the Contis. Can't beat the price though and the performance difference is as you said "close".
Old 12-27-2011, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

MIchelin PSS and don't look back.

Quick Reply: Tire choices for our S4, any preference?