S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Thoughts on Stasis Suspension Tweeks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't want to start a snit.

I'm interested in STaSIS because their modifications don't void the car's factory warranty and in fact covered by said warranty. In addition, since I trust my dealer's service shop, they can install whatever STaSIS tweaks I choose.

I'm not interested in the power/engine tweaks because at 333hp, I get myself in lots of trouble, now but I am interested in the suspension tweaks. So if anybody has done those, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also, since I've always like the "neuspeed" (I researched it for my '02 A4 but never installed) what do you all think of neuspeed vs STaSIS or any thing else.

TIA

Last edited by Mountian_A4; 05-04-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mountian_A4
I didn't want to start a snit.

I'm interested in STaSIS because their modifications don't void the car's factory warranty and in fact covered by said warranty. In addition, since I trust my dealer's service shop, they can install whatever STaSIS tweaks I choose.

I'm not interested in the power/engine tweaks because at 333hp, I get myself in lots of trouble, now but I am interested in the suspension tweaks. So if anybody has done those, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also, since I've always like the "neuspeed" (I researched it for my '02 A4 but never installed) what do you all think of neuspeed vs STaSIS or any thing else.

TIA
That's not actually true. Stasis provides its own warranty on its components which runs concurrently with the factory warranty.

Last edited by ZCD2.7T; 05-04-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Ummmm, NO, because other spring/aftermarket equipment vendors don't offer the same type of warranty that STaSIS does, so that's an apples to oranges comparison. And if the alignment question was a real-world issue, then why don't my tire wear patterns show signs of mis-alignment such as cupping or uneven wear?
When exactly have you heard of a warranty claim being denied because of springs? I don't think I ever have. It is the exact same product you can get from their supplier but with the additional cost of a warranty that will never be used. And I never said the alignment problem was severe, and it can be mitigated with regular rotation. The additional camber can actually be beneficial on track driving but for the street, it is out of alignment because the geometry of the suspension has changed and the upper control arms can't be lengthened slightly to correct for it. If you haven't seen irregular wear, then great. Doesn't mean your car has a proper alignment.

Nice - so you've devolved into name-calling. Classy.

I don't try to push my agenda on those who haven't asked for my opinion. You appear to have an axe to grind with STaSIS, or you wouldn't take every opportunity to try to discredit their stuff. All the bile you're spewing in their direction is based on your opinions of stuff you've never used. Generalizations with no basis in real-world experience don't carry much weight (except in your world I guess)
I have no agenda against Stasis, and hardly take every opportunity to discredit them. I simply look at products for what they are, regardless of brand. Like I said in my first post, I think the Ohlins are very good (in fact possibly the best coilover option for this platform), and I think their products are fine in general, but in certain instances you are paying for a warranty you don't really need, i.e. with their exhaust or springs. That is hardly attacking them. For ECU tuning, etc. there is a definite benefit to having the warranty, especially now that TD1 is around, I just fail to see the need to pay for one with a set of springs.

I simply don't like the idea of lowering springs (regardless of who makes them), and I explained exactly why. You decided that merited getting personally butthurt and jumping down my throat and attempting to discredit my opinion as unqualified. I've been in lowered cars before, both those done well with matched springs and dampers and those done badly. All I was ever saying is the OP should consider the unintended consequences of altering the suspension geometry.

I'm glad you are happy with your purchase and that it works for you. It doesn't mean it is the correct choice for everyone, or that is the "perfect" choice for this car as you stated earlier. Nothing I have posted has been false or misleading. Let the OP make his own judgement as to the validity of my post.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by helix139
...Nothing I have posted has been false or misleading. Let the OP make his own judgement as to the validity of my post.
Nor has anything I posted, and I'm certain the OP will take all the information and do exactly that.

BTW - more name calling just makes YOU look like the one who took things personally. And, just as you have every right to your opinion and your posts, I have every right to mine and my posts.

The difference remains though, that my posts are direct responses to the OP's initial question regarding who had experience with STaSIS stuff, whereas yours are broad generalizations about categories of modifications, based largely on conjecture.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by ZCD2.7T; 05-04-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mountian_A4
Has anybody, done the suspension modification offered by Stasis. If so what do you think?
To add to what I wrote earlier: at the last track event I attended, I was able to catch and then pass an instructor in his B8. He was running R-compound tires and has a Stoptech Big Brake Kit, which together are probably worth 3-5 seconds in a 95 second lap. I was on street tires (PZero Rossos) and had Carbotech pads in my front brake calipers. Yes, my car was also tuned, but that was STaSIS tune v1.0, which gained me less than a car length down the front straight.

So yeah, the STaSiS suspension mods are for real.

Last edited by ZCD2.7T; 05-05-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nor has anything I posted, and I'm certain the OP will take all the information and do exactly that.

BTW - more name calling just makes YOU look like the one who took things personally. And, just as you have every right to your opinion and your posts, I have every right to mine and my posts.

The difference remains though, that my posts are direct responses to the OP's initial question regarding who had experience with STaSIS stuff, whereas yours are broad generalizations about categories of modifications, based largely on conjecture.

Have a nice day.
And what name did I call you? You're the one who immediately went on the attack against my posts. And as far as my posts being "conjecture," that's like saying it's conjecture if someone posts that Eurocode's headers remove the cats from the exhaust system simply because they have never bought the headers, or that Stasis' V1 tune makes less power than the current V2 tunes.

I can only conclude that you simply do not understand how suspension components work together (granted the whole suspension system is pretty complicated) or that you just really really really don't like it when you perceive someone posts something negative about a part you bought.

There's really nothing to argue over in the posts I wrote. Either the tradeoffs from lowering springs are acceptable or unacceptable, and that won't be the same for every person. Doesn't change the fact that they are there. I just don't think the tradeoffs are worth it FOR ME. If I'm going to put money into springs, I'm going to get matched dampers (coilovers for this platform). The tradeoff there is cost and that may not be worth it to everyone, and I'm not going to argue with them that it is.

And even if the tradeoffs for lowering springs are worth it FOR YOU, it doesn't mean it is the best performance handling option in that price range.

To add to what I wrote earlier: at the last track event I attended, I was able to catch and then pass an instructor in his B8. He was running R-compound tires and has a Stoptech Big Brake Kit, which together are probably worth 3-5 seconds in a 95 second lap. I was on street tires (PZero Rossos) and had Carbotech pads in my front brake calipers. Yes, my car was also tuned, but that was STaSIS tune v1.0, which gained me less than a car length down the front straight.

So yeah, the STaSiS suspension mods are for real.
Have any real data? (i.e. I went to this track, ran a lap time of X:XX and after the suspension components were installed I ran a lap time of X:XX). Not doubting that they made a difference but I am curious how much.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by helix139
...Have any real data? ...Not doubting that they made a difference but I am curious how much.
No hard data because I never tracked my car with the stock suspension, only my observations:

- My car stays MUCH flatter through corners than stock-suspended B8s. The stiffer rear anti-roll bar and bushings seem to help quite a bit in that regard.
- Tire wear while on track has been amazingly balanced. The outside edges of the tires don't take as much of a beating as do cars with stock suspension.
- My guess is that the suspension mods are worth about the same 3-5 seconds per 90-95 second lap that the instructor's R-compounds and BBK were.