S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Those without B/O systems .. are you satisfied with the Audi stereo system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S4ormance
In my opinion, the digital amplifier that you get with the NAV option makes a bigger difference with sound quality of music than anything.
Please elaborate on this digital amplifier that only comes with the NAV option...
Old 07-28-2011, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the non-B/O system with Nav sounds better than B/O without Nav ????
Really ???

I have listened to the following configurations and rate them out of 10 for sound quality:

B&O w/ NAV option(digital amp)-9/10 (my S4)
B&O w/out NAV option(digital amp)-7/10 (friend's S4)
Non-B&O w/ NAV option(digital amp)-8/10 (dealer S4)
Non B&O w/out NAV option(digital amp)-6/10 (dealer S4)
Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Nav W/O B&O. Honestly ... a car is the WORST place for Audio Quality..period. The stock Audi system is just fine. I AM a hardcore Audiophile as my home setup is all Polk LSI Series..with Velodyne Subs .. slamming. The stock Audi system lacks good highs and has alot of Midrange. Stock Sub sounds OK. I may replace the tweets in the mirror housing with some high end.... Again I purchased my S4 strictly for performance not a rolling Symphony. Save your money and put it into Sports Diff!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, a friend has the B&O in his A5, and I find it to be 10x better than the Premium Sound in my 2011 F10 535. The B&O is one of the most clear sound systems I've ever heard in a car.

The OP really needs to hear both and make a decision.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
I have Nav W/O B&O. Honestly ... a car is the WORST place for Audio Quality..period. The stock Audi system is just fine. I AM a hardcore Audiophile as my home setup is all Polk LSI Series..with Velodyne Subs .. slamming. The stock Audi system lacks good highs and has alot of Midrange. Stock Sub sounds OK. I may replace the tweets in the mirror housing with some high end.... Again I purchased my S4 strictly for performance not a rolling Symphony. Save your money and put it into Sports Diff!
It is true that cars are the worst place for audio quality - however, I find it interesting that you don't think the system lacks bass. At low volumes it seems OK, but it doesn't seem to be able to hang at higher volumes, even with the bass/sub turned up. It never distorts, but it seems like the small speakers really show at high volumes - kind of like a nice ipod system from across the room - you can "hear" the bass, but can't really feel it...
Old 07-29-2011, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
I happen to also consider myself an Audiophile (also with Polk LSI series and Velodyne subs...go figure) for my home setup. I "ended up" with a B8 S4 without B&O and also agree that it isn't bad at all. My neighbor has a S5 with B&O and I can hear the difference, but it isn't a huge difference. It is subtle and mostly involves the highs when the volume is cranked like most here stated.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

While I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile I believe that the stock B&O System is pretty fantastic. I had it in my 10' S4 and when I "upgraded" to the 12' they didn't have a car on the lot with Nav, B&O, Key, and the sports differential so I went with the car with it all sans B&O. I can't be more disappointed.

The difference between the two while listening in the showroom was negligible - I didn't notice the real difference until driving alone with the volume raised.

$850 (or $791 invoice) for the upgraded is a stereo is a steal.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have listened to the following configurations and rate them out of 10 for sound quality:

B&O w/ NAV option(digital amp)-9/10 (my S4)
B&O w/out NAV option(digital amp)-7/10 (friend's S4)
Non-B&O w/ NAV option(digital amp)-8/10 (dealer S4)
Non B&O w/out NAV option(digital amp)-6/10 (dealer S4)
This makes very little sense. There's no reason why the two non-B&O systems would sound different from one another. There is a reason why the two B&O systems might sound different since the MMI/Nav version has a digital connection from radio to the amp & "Sound Focus".
Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

It makes perfect sense. Audio quality is so subjective, and there are so many contradictory views, that there is no point in hearing/reading other people's views.

Go for the cheapest that sounds good to you.

I didn't follow my advice and went for the Audi sound system (between basic and B&O) without any testing, and am happy.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly what I was going to say when I saw the op's title... it's subjective !

However, $800 or so on a $40K+ car is minor and more is always better, right ?

imho - the b&o is a bargain !

Quick Reply: Those without B/O systems .. are you satisfied with the Audi stereo system?