S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

To those who did the Pioneer sub swap

Old 06-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I'm not sure how much power it puts out, but it can't possibly be more than 120W. The original B&O sub has no useful markings on it other than 8Ω.
Does this upgrade without an amp really make that big of a difference then? Do the subs actually hit or just create a better bass fill sound?
Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

The sub only upgrade significantly tightens the bass, and extends the bottom end from ~50hz to 28Hz. There is a slight volume increase that will get better over a couple months as it breaks in. After break in I'd say the bass is at least 6dB better.

If you want it to pound out bass you can hear the next car over, you will need a amp.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The sub only upgrade significantly tightens the bass, and extends the bottom end from ~50hz to 28Hz. There is a slight volume increase that will get better over a couple months as it breaks in. After break in I'd say the bass is at least 6dB better.

If you want it to pound out bass you can hear the next car over, you will need a amp.
I think I'll try the swap first and if I'm unhappy, I'll go for the amp. If I choose the amp route eventually, I hope that it hides away like the one installation had shown.

As far as subs, I'm looking at a few infinite baffle options - the Pioneer that had already been suggested and an Image Dynamics IDQ.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Some folks have been able to find amps small enough to fit in the equipment box above the B&O amp. That would make it completely invisible when the fabric door panel is closed.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Some folks have been able to find amps small enough to fit in the equipment box above the B&O amp. That would make it completely invisible when the fabric door panel is closed.
Could you by chance upload a picture of the finished installation from the top view? I'm curious to see how the woofer protrudes from the deck and how the dynamat is hidden away.

Also - did you remove all the plastic structure when you installed this woofer? I'm wondering if you did woofer + new drill holes in body or did some baffle in between the mounting ring and the metal surface.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Go out to your car and look in the back window....

It looks completely stock when all is put back together and you are unable to see that a mod has been done. From the inside the larger Sub hangs down quite a bit more but as said previously the sound and bass quality is much better than before.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Difuser
Go out to your car and look in the back window....

It looks completely stock when all is put back together and you are unable to see that a mod has been done. From the inside the larger Sub hangs down quite a bit more but as said previously the sound and bass quality is much better than before.
Hello Difuser,

I would gladly do that if I had the car. As noted in be signature, I haven't taken delivery of it yet. For this reason, I asked for a few extra pictures and details so I can better understand what I'm getting into.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry if it came off as rude. It looks absolutely stock. From inside or outside you cannot see that there is anything different with the car.

It does not protrude from the top deck and no dynamat is visible. I'd take a pic of mine but the rear window tint would hide any details you are looking for.

Last edited by Difuser; 06-02-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Difuser
Sorry if it came off as rude. It looks absolutely stock. From inside or outside you cannot see that there is anything different with the car.

It does not protrude from the top deck and no dynamat is visible.
No worries, you just jumped to the conclusion that I am lazy that's all lol and I'm far from! No worries though honestly.

So is the speaker cone/surround covered up by something? It was my understanding that the stock woofer faces the trunk whereas this arrangement positions the woofer towards the cabin.

This is why a picture of the finished result would help!
Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The rear parcel shelf has a molded cover along with 2 grilles that dress out the interior.

If you look in the original thread for the swap you can see their removal. All in all I did my swap in about 1 hour. My wife noticed the diff when we bought her A5 that had the B&O and hers did not have the bass response mine does.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To those who did the Pioneer sub swap