S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Are there any tunes that don't void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinchan
Does small changes to basic stuff done to vag-com void warranty? They don't touch power response. Only convience of car.
No, they shouldn't. I've heard of dealers trying to claim it does but there's no way AOA/AOC will side with the dealer on that.

However, say someone royally screws the pooch and alters something in vag-com that they shouldn't... Then yeah, you're at fault.

A guy who got a C7 S6 made some vag-com changes without configuring the cable for his new car after previously using it on a B8 S4. Needless to say, it messed things up royally and I believe he ended up needing a new ECU. Simple mistake and I've been close to doing the same thing.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

The dealer is required to prove that your customization caused the failure. Example, ECU tune and then a clutch failure, your fault for adding additional HP. A wheel bearing goes out after replacing the exhaust, not a chance in hell of the dealer denying this.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carstocks
Actually, your original answer of "Stock / OEM" was perfectly clear and to the point. Believe me, I got your message as intended. I'm not willing to roll those dice and possibly lose warranty coverage.

Thanks Tifosi!
Some new information surfaced on AZ regarding ECU tuning and re-sale/trade-in value. That also includes Stasis tune too.

Link: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Trade-In-Value
Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tifosi
Some new information surfaced on AZ regarding ECU tuning and re-sale/trade-in value. That also includes Stasis tune too.

Link: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Trade-In-Value
It is unfortunate dealers are not more upfront about this issue when trying to sell you Stasis. The only reason I know about the restrictions on CPO that arise from a tune came because I pushed a dealer to provide me something in writing that said my car could be CPOd if I did a Stasis tune and later bought the car out of the lease via the CPO program. (They wouldn't / couldn't) If you tune, any tune, I don't think you can CPO and if you tune after CPO you will likely have an issue with the CPO powertrain warranty. Yes, dealers have to prove the tune was the cause of the issue, but unless you want to pay an attorney to battle it out in court, right and wrong might not matter when they tell you a repair isn't covered.

I have no issues with tuning to any other mods and if it weren't for warranty issues, I'd be engaged in them for my S4. I take exception to dealers that try to sell you products without making you aware of the consequences. It is one thing to make an educated decision and take the risk. It's another to think you are covered when you aren't.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree. Was under the impression that a stasis dealer would be able to CPO. I just got this back from my dealership last night. "You are right we cant CPO a STaSIS car but we could do a after market warranty which is moer money but can be applied on any of our modded STaSIS cars."

So the choice has to be made I guess!