S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

test drove an S4 today - please help, need your input!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 AM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hype.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:34 AM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you are going fast enough on pavement, it gets to feel like snow, and at that speed...awd crushes 2 wheel drive. Remember seeing clarkson in the R8, with the porsche powersliding huge out of each corner trying to keep up.

Driver can make the difference at novice levels. (imagine if the prototype R-10s were awd. yikes.)
Old 04-27-2011, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
Having said that, if I post a video of a pro driver showing the comparison and how the ZR1 was all over the track compared to the R8, undoubtedly, there will be others who post "numbers" or another source with a different result or there will be a member who refutes my source as a credible source. Ofcourse knowing this, I probably shouldnt have said anything (my fault as I was simply tryinG to point out AWD performance) because by now these discussions tend to lead into serious heated silly arguments (its already is heading in that direction) and I have learned to avoid them because they serve no purpose
Not at all...or at least I'm not getting heated up over your comments. I agree 100% that AWD has great performance benefits. I value your commments as to this point I have yet to drive either the V10 R8 or the ZR1 but I can definitely see the R8, with its AWD and better balance, being the easier of the two to drive (fast) for the average driver/weekend trackday warrior. My point was just that most reviews have the ZR1 as being a monster on and off the track. The comparos I did from fastlaps shows that the ZR1 seems to be faster on almost all tracks listed on the site so I was just curious as to where you were drawing your conclusions from hence my earlier post.

Don't want to thread jack but I would love to see some picks of your vett!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by L0U
if you are going fast enough on pavement, it gets to feel like snow, and at that speed...awd crushes 2 wheel drive. Remember seeing clarkson in the R8, with the porsche powersliding huge out of each corner trying to keep up.

Driver can make the difference at novice levels. (imagine if the prototype R-10s were awd. yikes.)
I'm pretty sure that was with a 911 turbo awd so unless I'm missing something that example doesn't really apply.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 81bear
Don't want to thread jack but I would love to see some picks of your vett!
No worries, I would actually also like to see a picture of that Lingenfelter!
Originally Posted by xxShadowxx
The RWD 335 is always going to make you feel like you're being pushed into your seat - that's just how RWD is.. Having owned both, the S4 is faster than the 335i, but probably even with the 335is.

One thing I do like about the 335i is the available torque at low RPM - I think this really helps in the gas mileage dept. It's not terrible in the S4, but I'd love to have 325ftlb torque at 1500rpm.

If I had to buy one or the other, it would be the S4 no question. But the S4 is more expensive than the 335i, but on par with the 335is. My pretty well loaded 2008 335i sedan was $45,500; and my very loaded 2011 S4 was $58,000.
Thanks for the clarification!
Unfortunately cars are more expensive for us here, in Canada, but S4 (starts at $52,500) is priced on par with 335i xdrive (starts at $53something). Nicely loaded both are around $60K (you still have to add 13% sales tax to that

On the topic of what's faster:
Has anyone had a chance to compare a tuned A4 (just an ECU and maybe mild bolt-ons, nothing crazy) with a stock S4 and can comment? B8 platform.
Thanks!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
One of the issues with a luxury/sports sedan is that it really doesn't give you the impression of speed even when it is going like hell. AN old Top Gear episode pitted an E46 M3(333 hp) Vs a B6 S4(340HP). The 335i felt like a race car. The S4 felt like a refined sports sedan. The 0-60 and lap time were within .1 secs of each other. You can't use the "seat of your pants dyno" to tell how fast you are going with these cars. So you can either feel fast or BE fast. Perhaps you might be better served driving a car that feels as fast as it is. Have you considered an M3? That feels more like driving a race car because that is what it is. But, IMHO, the S4 and 335i are better daily drivers than the M3. Not better or faster cars, but better suited for daily driving. Also be aware that the impressions that you get on your first test drive are not always an acurate represntation of how the car feels or behaves . Its just a small impression. Kind of like a first date.
One of my all time favorite episodes. After watching that episode on day 1 taking delivery of my 2003 Audi I kept a CD with Sade's Smooth Operator in CD slot #1, until the day I sold my car this year. I didn't have an S4 (I had a 3.0 QMS), but I respected the attitude of the S4.