S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Test drove an S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove an S4

So I took an S4 for a test drive yesterday...really enjoyed it. A little disappointed at the lack of a heated steering wheel or power folding side mirrors (I fold my mirrors in every day as I park my car in a tiny garage), but I can work around that. I'm definitely leaning towards getting one, just don't quite know when I will pull the trigger on a car until I fully assess my financial situation. Best case is the end of the month, worst case (hopefully) is the end of the year.

I'm leaning towards the prestige, adding the sport diff (obviously). Will probably skip the adaptive suspension as it seems like it will cost a lot more to maintain over the long run than the standard. I've still got to figure out colors, but am leaning towards Moonlight blue, or perhaps monsoon gray. My 335 is black with red interior and I'd kind of like to switch things up a bit. Not sure which interior colors go well with the moonlight blue, it would be nice to see these things in person as the only S4s I've seen on dealer lots have been all black inside.

Anyway, I'm probably going to test drive an f30 for completeness' sake, but I've just about made up my mind on the S4.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you really want folded side mirrors, there is an aftermarket kit you can buy for the car
Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Same Willa from Bimmerfest? I havent been happier with a vehicle like this in a long time. Drove a sport 335 with xdrive and regular 335i and the S4 is hands down a more enjoyable vehicle. Almost doesnt seem like a fair comparison anymore.

I dont get in it wondering what might break and how I will have to fight BMWNA to get it taken care of.

And I think it handles much better since BMW messed up the steering.

I do miss the adaptive headlights (only available on the prestige model), but that's about it and the gas mileage but I suspect that is my lead-foot and not the vehicle so much.

Last edited by Evlengr; 10-07-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love a heated steering wheel. It gets cold as f*ck here in the winter and I always need to keep a pair of gloves in each car. I can live without a heated wheel but I think it's one of those niceties that once you know what it's like, you don't want to go back (similar to heated seats and the advanced key).
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Evlengr
Same Willa from Bimmerfest? I havent been happier with a vehicle like this in a long time. Drove a sport 335 with xdrive and regular 335i and the S4 is hands down a more enjoyable vehicle. Almost doesnt seem like a fair comparison anymore.

I dont get in it wondering what might break and how I will have to fight BMWNA to get it taken care of.

And I think it handles much better since BMW messed up the steering.

I do miss the adaptive headlights (only available on the prestige model), but that's about it and the gas mileage but I suspect that is my lead-foot and not the vehicle so much.
Yes, I have been on Bimmerfest, but not for a while. I definitely am leaning towards the S4 at this point in time, but still feel the need to do my due diligence.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My last car was an 07 E92 335i. Used to be on bimmerfest at that time. I doubt you will be sorry if you make the switch. The S4 is really the better overall car. you might miss the exhaust note of the 335i and the BMW all inclusive warranty is better. IMHO, I was willing to trade that off for all the other features of the S4. Most of the die hard BMW fan boys are still unwilling to give the S4 its due. But I don't remember anyone who made the switch from the 335i to S4 who was sorry. In fact thay are elated!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by willa1975
Yes, I have been on Bimmerfest, but not for a while. I definitely am leaning towards the S4 at this point in time, but still feel the need to do my due diligence.
Willa,

researched this car for 2 years. It kept getting better the more I peeled back the layers. After being blind sided on a non stop basis with BMW(NA) I keep waiting for something to go wrong. Nope, pure driving pleasure.

You mentioned winter and 18" wheels. I have priced out a number of sets and it looks like around $1500.00 US give or take.

Almost forgot, the adaptive suspension is really nice to have. I typically keep it in auto mode, but Sunday mornings I drive about 30 miles on a largely deserted road and the dynamic mode is great. You can almost see the car crouching down like a tiger about to pounce on its prey. The comfort mode is nice after a long day when you get stuck in what I call doobie doo driving where no matter what you do people are in slow mode and you just consign yourself to relax.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Evlengr
Willa,

researched this car for 2 years. It kept getting better the more I peeled back the layers. After being blind sided on a non stop basis with BMW(NA) I keep waiting for something to go wrong. Nope, pure driving pleasure.

You mentioned winter and 18" wheels. I have priced out a number of sets and it looks like around $1500.00 US give or take.

Almost forgot, the adaptive suspension is really nice to have. I typically keep it in auto mode, but Sunday mornings I drive about 30 miles on a largely deserted road and the dynamic mode is great. You can almost see the car crouching down like a tiger about to pounce on its prey. The comfort mode is nice after a long day when you get stuck in what I call doobie doo driving where no matter what you do people are in slow mode and you just consign yourself to relax.
So, barring any major surprises, I have decided to get an order in by the end of the month. I should be able to get enough for my e92 to cover a nice down payment, and I am expecting a bonus from work this month as well. I am keeping an appointment for a test drive on a GS350 this weekend, and I requested a test drive on an f30, which I hope to do this weekend as well. I'll check out the ATS as well. However, I'll be surprised if I end up preferring any of these to the S4.

I've changed my mind about the adaptive suspension and will look to get that. Still need to make my mind up on the color. I think I'm going to go for the 19-inch wheels and try and get them to throw in a set of 18s with winter tires at cost. We'll see what happens.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was originally shopping the GS350 too but while debating whether I wanted to wait for an order (GS350 is apparently in short supply) I wandered to the Audi dealer across the street and the rest is history. Even though the A6 is the real counterpart to the GS, but I somehow knew if it was going to be an Audi, it had to be an S4. Let me know how the GS350 test goes, because I never bothered with it.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a feeling that the GS350 is going to be bigger than what I'm looking for, but we'll see. I'm also thinking about setting up another S4 test drive and maybe taking out an A6 as well. With the cars basically the same price, I feel obligated to compare them.

Drove an ATS today. It's a very good car, but not quite at the level of the S4. I'm not a big fan of the capacitive buttons either.

I also went by a dealer that had a moonlight blue S4 on the lot. Having seen it in person, it just looks a little too close to black...for now I've narrowed my color choices down to Estoril blue with black or monsoon gray with black/chestnut.

Quick Reply: Test drove an S4