S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

test drove a manual, is it quicker? or in my head?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default test drove a manual, is it quicker? or in my head?

Cross post in Audizine as well:

The question I have is NOT which is better, a manual or automatic, I know there are a lot of opinions regarding that specific question. My inquiry is more one of seeing if what I perceived is universal, or was it just me?

I ended up at a non-audi dealership and was checking out an S4 they had, 2012. It was the colour, wheels, etc, everything that I would be looking at getting in the S4. I had never driven a manual S4 before, always the auto's. It has been a little while since I last test drove and S4, but this manual seemed extremely quick! It was pulling hard through all the gears and seemed to be faster to me. I did verify with the sales manager that the car was not tuned, he didn't know 100%, but it only had 12000 km on it, and it was traded in for another audi. I think they got it at an auction perhaps, don't know how that works. Anyway, just wanted your opinions on that.

On a side note, he did put me in a 335i to try, first time trying one, and it was pretty quick as well, interior was a bit nicer than I previously thought BMW's had, really took the corners nice, but at the end, still felt the S4 had an edge. He did offer to put me in an overnight which was nice, Audi won't let you do that here at all unfortunately.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

i'm guessing with the manual, when you shift the RPM's will dip lower compared to a DSG Tranny which is much quicker. So, you'll have more "powerband" available with the manual since the RPM's will be lower when you engage the next gear.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I prefer manual. DSG is faster at shifting though IMHO. Manual is more fun though.

Bruce
Old 07-21-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
I prefer manual. DSG is faster at shifting though IMHO. Manual is more fun though.

Bruce
Manual will always be more fun.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dmbcrew36
Manual will always be more fun.
"Always?" Even in crap, stop-and-go traffic in which you barely break into double-digit speeds?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chris
"Always?" Even in crap, stop-and-go traffic in which you barely break into double-digit speeds?

Ok, ok, you got me on that ) In normal driving, it always will be.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

DSG > manual when it comes to quickness and speed... Let me know when a 6speed car is cutting 1.6x 60s...
Old 07-22-2012, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by primetime
DSG > manual when it comes to quickness and speed... Let me know when a 6speed car is cutting 1.6x 60s...
I don't think anyone can argue DSG isn't faster and more efficient.

It's most certainly just in his head that the manual was faster, and to me, it would be because the manual is more fun.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Other than that!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey, at least it's a good work out. Worth at least a beer or two when you get home.

Quick Reply: test drove a manual, is it quicker? or in my head?