S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Advanced Key - Locking itself?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced Key - Locking itself?

Two questions on the advanced key system, i havent tested these yet.

- Does the car lock itself when you walk away with the key fob, ie pull into a supermarket, do you have to lock the car or will it lock itself if the key fob is a certian distance away?

- if the car is running and you walk away from the car with the key fob, does the car shut off and lock itself?

Thanks,
Old 08-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It won't lock itself. For example I don't lock it when parked I my own garage.

For walking away while its running, I don't think so. I've never gone more than maybe 15 metres like that though
Old 08-24-2012, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Won't self-lock.

If the key leaves the car an alarm will sound inside the car to show "no key detected" or something like that but you can still drive off. You could be SOL if you drive away and then shut off the motor. Someone go try it and report back!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Won't self-lock.

If the key leaves the car an alarm will sound inside the car to show "no key detected" or something like that but you can still drive off. You could be SOL if you drive away and then shut off the motor. Someone go try it and report back!
Correct. Would be nice if there was some sort of 50 yard proximity sensor, but no such luck. As long as a thief doesn't shut it down, he can drive cross country without the key.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that when I have been cleaning my car with the key in my pocket, I have had my car auto lock itself, but I think you need to be in the area for awhile for it to do it.

I have started to leave the key in the car when I am cleaning it so it wont auto lock itself and so the touch on the handles (even water spray will lock it) wont lock it.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rav6370
Two questions on the advanced key system, i havent tested these yet.

- Does the car lock itself when you walk away with the key fob, ie pull into a supermarket, do you have to lock the car or will it lock itself if the key fob is a certian distance away?

- if the car is running and you walk away from the car with the key fob, does the car shut off and lock itself?

Thanks,
Advanced key only allows you to use the exterior sensors to lock/unlock the car and to start the car w/out taking the key out of your pocket/purse.

Originally Posted by ob_1jr
I know that when I have been cleaning my car with the key in my pocket, I have had my car auto lock itself, but I think you need to be in the area for awhile for it to do it.

I have started to leave the key in the car when I am cleaning it so it wont auto lock itself and so the touch on the handles (even water spray will lock it) wont lock it.
Yeah, when washing my car the first time I found that it would lock/unlock multiple times as I accidentally got close to the sensors. I started leaving the key inside the car when washing/making repairs/hacking w/VCDS

I'm looking forward to the new Advanced Key feature where you can open the trunk by placing your foot under the rear bumper. That way if your hands are full with groceries, you can open it up easy peasy.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
I'm looking forward to the new Advanced Key feature where you can open the trunk by placing your foot under the rear bumper. That way if your hands are full with groceries, you can open it up easy peasy.
Seriously?? I've never really cared about advanced key functionality to date, but a sensor for the trunk would make beer runs so much easier (ok, groceries and other stuff too). That added feature would make me an adopter of this tech.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

my car has auto locked without touching the sensors....It has done it when I was washing the windshield or if I just stand in the vicinity of the car while just standing there talking to a friend. I can't explain it and have looked in the owners manual about it.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

FWIW, the capacitive sensors on the door handles can false trip from water.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't have the Advanced Key but my S4 self-locks if you unlock the car but then dont open any doors. I think it waits about one minute. Once you open a door, it stays unlocked. Its a nice feature actually in case you accidentally unlock the car unknowingly.

Quick Reply: Advanced Key - Locking itself?