S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Summer tires safe to drive in 20 degrees and a little snow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer tires safe to drive in 20 degrees and a little snow?

Hey guys,

Just got my S4 last week and it has Kumho Ecsta LE Sport tires on it ("max performance summer tire"). The description on tire rack.com says "Like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

I live near DC and its 20 degrees and we got some accumulating snow today on the roads (inch or so), so I wanted to see if it was safe to drive with these tires. Are they just less sporty handling in cold weather or actually dangerous to drive?

Just looking for quick feedback before I commute 80 miles today....
Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmk32
Hey guys,

Just got my S4 last week and it has Kumho Ecsta LE Sport tires on it ("max performance summer tire"). The description on tire rack.com says "Like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

I live near DC and its 20 degrees and we got some accumulating snow today on the roads (inch or so), so I wanted to see if it was safe to drive with these tires. Are they just less sporty handling in cold weather or actually dangerous to drive?

Dangerous. Think hockey pucks. Even if you can get going, you won't be able to stop very well.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 AM
jgd
Banned

Originally Posted by jmk32
Hey guys,

No it is very dangerous, IMHO. Do you have a family that rides with you in the car? If so, it would be wise to get all season or winters.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by helix139
Dangerous. Think hockey pucks. Even if you can get going, you won't be able to stop very well.
What he said.

In my previous car, I spun out on the hwy (kinda fun haha) due to bad tires while all the other cars around me were fine. Since then I've learned the importance of tires, the only piece of material connecting the car with the road.

I know it sucks to drop so much dough after just getting the car, but rather spend it now than pulling the car out of a ditch later.

So the recommendation is get new tires ASAP. Plenty of threads on this website and over at Audizine discussing good A/S or Winter tires so be sure to look those up so that you can make a knowledgeable decision.

PM me if you have any questions or want a quick recommendation.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with the posts above. Take a look at the classifieds on this forum and on AZ. Sometimes you can catch a good local deal for a dedicated winter wheel and tire set up.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

NO! You crazy! You could kill somebody! Below 40 degrees on Summers is suicide!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here is a link to look at. Look about half way down and see why not to drive on summer tires in the snow and ice. I asked the same question when I bought my car.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...07-Stock-tires
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 597 Likes on 429 Posts

Hahaha... 80 mile drive on summer tires in freezing temperatures and snow on the ground .... ahahahahahaha
Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

NO!

Quick Reply: Summer tires safe to drive in 20 degrees and a little snow?