S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Stupid Mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Thing about it is, the CTS-V is also 10-15k more than the S4 and maintenance costs are in another league too. Factor in tires, brakes, fuel and a few other things and it's also probably substantially more expensive to own per mile."

I'm not too sure about that, Audi parts are alot more than GM parts and it seems to be a reliable platform. They don't seem to be having any teething issues, unlike the B8 S4 time-bomb water pumps. Time will tell. The first gen V's are holding up well, I have a bud that supercharged V his and it runs strong and has no issues.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do realize if you get a Mustang, then you're obligated to beat a few people up a year?
Old 12-09-2010, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well that's not what I mean. Parts wise it's probably cheaper for normal wear and tear items but the brakes and tires are VERY expensive for the CTS-V. I'm talking about just normal maintenance over the years. I have no doubts that they are solid engines at all.

Originally Posted by RVTS4
"Thing about it is, the CTS-V is also 10-15k more than the S4 and maintenance costs are in another league too. Factor in tires, brakes, fuel and a few other things and it's also probably substantially more expensive to own per mile."

I'm not too sure about that, Audi parts are alot more than GM parts and it seems to be a reliable platform. They don't seem to be having any teething issues, unlike the B8 S4 time-bomb water pumps. Time will tell. The first gen V's are holding up well, I have a bud that supercharged V his and it runs strong and has no issues.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires for sure, no doubt on that. Brakes would be comparible to replacing the Brembo RS4 brakes I suppose, which gets expensive. But the new V is more comparible to the RS Audi cars anyway in terms of performance. I think the new Laguna Boss would be a great track car. Even has a rear seat delete. As a daily driver, I bet it would get tiresome.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naamanf
Made the mistake of driving the new 5.0 the other day (and the CTS-V). If you look at that car purely from the driving experience
(straight line) it's an incredible deal/car. That engine plus the much improved six speed make me second guess my choice of the S4. But at the end of the day it's still a Mustang inside. If they made a luxury version I think it might be a different story.

I was originally going to get the S-tronic but after driving the 5.0 and the CTS-V in both auto and manual I realized that I much prefer a manual.

Just ranting.
that mustang is pretty badass around corners too. Read the M3 vs. Mustang story in C&D? Pretty eye opening.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by naamanf
Made the mistake of driving the new 5.0 the other day (and the CTS-V). If you look at that car purely from the driving experience
(straight line) it's an incredible deal/car. That engine plus the much improved six speed make me second guess my choice of the S4. But at the end of the day it's still a Mustang inside. If they made a luxury version I think it might be a different story.

I was originally going to get the S-tronic but after driving the 5.0 and the CTS-V in both auto and manual I realized that I much prefer a manual.

Just ranting.
Manual is a great gearbox form what I have heard. Let me just make a few points on your post

I am a corvette forum member and straight-line power stangs come up all the time. Unfortunately, there are those who think that a straight line is performance when its only about 15%. Anyone can make a car go fast in a straight line. But If you want a real performance car, it will have to be a car that can put that power down in corners and turns because the word is round, not a straight line. The mustang cannot do this. The Quatro’s can

To further illustrate my point, I have a corvette Lingenfleter Twin turbo. It’s a 650 RWHP Car using a boost controller. I have taken it on roadcourses many many times. Man, that thing has soooo much tq, it’s a blast to drive, but not in the corners and turns. You can only go straight for so long. When I ws on the track, I realized that were so many cars with half the HP beating me in around the track. Honda S2000’s, Miatas (yes, miatas) and BMW’s were getting through turns much quicker and they do it with ease. If you are even a ¼ second faster in the turn (I’m being conservative here) and there are 12 turns, on a track, you are a full 3 seconds quicker than the other guy after a lap. If there are 10 laps, you are 30 seconds ahead. Not even a 600 hp car can overcome that in a few straights. And don’t forget, all that power has to be slowed for the next turn and IMO, German cars are built to slow down quicker than something like as a stang. Its not even close

Even in the streets, these straight line High HP cars arent as fun or as effortless to drive as an S4 (or BMW) and they definitely don’t have the connected to the road feeling. And you will grow tired of looking look for long straightaways to enjoy something like a stang, trust me. Take it from someone who has a 650HP vette

There is damn good reason why I am ordering an S4. For those days that I want to feel the high tq/hp of my corvette, then I will take her out. I will always enjoy that kind of tq. Otherwise, the S4 is going to to be more enjoyable I had an A4 for 4 weeks and even the A4 was quite enjoyable

In short, The stang is good for a 1/4 mile track, thats it. 11-13 seconds of driving does nothing for me.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No offense, but the current Mustang is FANTASTIC in the corners...especially the 2011. Ford has done a great job of sorting the suspension out on it and it rivals even the M3 in terms of lap times around some of the best tracks in the US. Stock for stock, the 5.0 Mustang will absolutely destroy an S4 around a road course.

Originally Posted by mark_nimda

In short, The stang is good for a 1/4 mile track, thats it. 11-13 seconds of driving does nothing for me.

Last edited by zerinS4; 12-09-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zerinS4
No offense, but the current Mustang is FANTASTIC in the corners...especially the 2011. Ford has done a great job of sorting the suspension out on it and it rivals even the M3 in terms of lap times around some of the best tracks in the US. Stock for stock, the 5.0 Mustang will absolutely destroy an S4 around a road course.
well, I have not been in a 2011. I have driven a few M3's on the track.

Dont misconstrue track times for ease of driving. These guys driving are pros and can overcome car's required effort to meet good lap times. I have driven a few M3's and those cars drive themselves - no wasted enrgy to keep the car on the course.

I test drive cars constantly (just drove the C63 AMG last weekend) so i will get into a stang when I get a chance.

I will say that One nice thing about car clubs and Hotlapping evenst is you get to atleast be passengers in cars. Many drivers will allow you to drive their car if they know you. So I have had the opporunity to drive many. One of the quickest track cars (and easy car to drive) was a cute Yellow Lotus elise I drove a few years back. Its a very small car and low HP but its a friggin go cart
through the turns. Very tough car to keep up with

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 12-09-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Primetime's S4 will beat any stock 2011 Mustang
Old 12-09-2010, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Manufacturers leave cars with me for a week at a time to test...i've had plenty of seat time in all of them

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
I test drive cars constabntly (just drove the C63 AMG last weekend so i will get into a stang when I get a chance

Quick Reply: Stupid Mustang 5.0