S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Stereo cuts in and out

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo cuts in and out

Wondering if anyone has had this issue: The sound system in my '11 prem plus w/ b&o periodically goes silent. Doesn't matter if I'm listening to am, fm, SD card, or satellite - the sound simply goes away for 20-30 seconds, then comes back. At first, I thought it was related to the satellite radio, but I no longer have satellite radio and it still happens. Just had my 5,000 mile service, and there were no codes...so it's a mystery. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know these may sound dumb, but does it only happen while backing up? Another thing, could there be a bluetooth phone call coming in?

Other that thoses cases, mine only cuts out with satellite radio while going under an overpass, or get this - driving near an Aegis phased array radar while it is radiating. Don't ask.....
Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kevin3
Wondering if anyone has had this issue: The sound system in my '11 prem plus w/ b&o periodically goes silent. Doesn't matter if I'm listening to am, fm, SD card, or satellite - the sound simply goes away for 20-30 seconds, then comes back. At first, I thought it was related to the satellite radio, but I no longer have satellite radio and it still happens. Just had my 5,000 mile service, and there were no codes...so it's a mystery. Thanks.
This may sound crazy, but do you have tint? If so, is it ceramic tint? My dad had metallic tint on his 2010 E63 and he had the same problem as you. The dealer told him to switch to ceramic tint and the problem went away.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere? G-forces may dislodge and then reconnect it.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RedMagma2011S4
or get this - driving near an Aegis phased array radar while it is radiating. Don't ask.....
haha i think anyone's satellite radio will cut out if you're close to one of these systems while it's operational... although, the only places i can think this would happen is on the Turnpike near Moorestown, NJ or down in Norfolk, VA...
Old 02-19-2011, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RedMagma2011S4
I know these may sound dumb, but does it only happen while backing up? Another thing, could there be a bluetooth phone call coming in?

Other that thoses cases, mine only cuts out with satellite radio while going under an overpass, or get this - driving near an Aegis phased array radar while it is radiating. Don't ask.....
I wish it was only when baking up! Unfortunately, it happens when going forward. I don't have a phone hooked up, so no incoming calls, and no special tint on the windows - but good thoughts! Sometimes happens while on the highway on smooth roads, so I don't think it's a loose connection. Really only happens about once a week, so it's more of a nuisance thing, but still frustrating.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lasallecrew2
haha i think anyone's satellite radio will cut out if you're close to one of these systems while it's operational... although, the only places i can think this would happen is on the Turnpike near Moorestown, NJ or down in Norfolk, VA...
Bingo, only closer than on the turnpike. Pretty much happens only when I pass right in front of the arrays on Hartford Road.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The B&O on mine will sometimes go silent for 20-30 seconds when I first start rolling in the morning. It does the same for SD, CD or Ipod. I have a MY2011.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DLAB
The B&O on mine will sometimes go silent for 20-30 seconds when I first start rolling in the morning. It does the same for SD, CD or Ipod. I have a MY2011.

OK, so there's at least 2 of us...
Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Me too!

My MY2011 is doing the same thing. B&O sound. Cuts out for several seconds no matter what I am listening to. Driving me nuts.

Quick Reply: Stereo cuts in and out