S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Starting the purchase process. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used amexzagg. Priced it on their site and took the printout to a dealer I liked. While they didn't match the exact price, I was able to get $500 over invoice. Might've been able to get slightly better than that if I really tried.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4CE FED NOGARO
If you are worried about getting the car for invoice you could always purchase an A4, they are much more cost effective?
I think you're definitely in the running for the most helpful post of the thread with this winner.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I should also ask how you all have handled the destination fee. I have a local guy who, with his price is telling me they only charge a $189 destination fee. I thought they were around $800.

Thanks,
Old 01-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
I should also ask how you all have handled the destination fee. I have a local guy who, with his price is telling me they only charge a $189 destination fee. I thought they were around $800.

Thanks,
I believe destination fee is a line item on the window sticker and does not vary. As far as buying a used S4, they have been in short supply(as was mentioned) and dealers are sometimes asking as much or MORE for a used car than for a new. Especially if you are comparing a loaded used Prestige model to a nicely equipped new Prem+. Interest rates are better on a new car and the car will be worth more in the future since it is a newer model. Anything between $500 and $1K over invoice is decent price. But it does pay to shop around. some dealers will not discount as much as other. Many who have used the Zag AMex program have gotten really good prices. In fact, just buying from a dealer that participates with the Zag Amex program will probably get you a good deal as well.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Price Aint Always Best

A method that has worked very well for me is to use e mail in this fashion.

I send out an e mail with all the things I want and what a "Buddy" of mine paid for the same car.

I inform in the letter that I will not tolerate "let me check with my manager" and that the response should be their best foot forward as I will be asking no less than six other dealers in the area for the same thing.

Sit back and let the e mails fly.

Narrow it down to two or three dealers. Then call their customer service and see how they treat you for a service call you would like on your current vehicle.

Usually ends up being a dealer in between as best price usually equals worst CS. Always be willing to trade off a couple of hundred dollars for a dealer with a good rep. Later on the aggravation they save you is worth the extra bucks.

Example, We bought a Mini-Cooper S fully loaded for $500 more than a competitor. They were polite, treated my wife well and turns out the other dealer where I bought my BMW had been BSing me for years on repairs. It was worth the $500 extra not deal with them anymore and make my wife happy.

Good Luck and let us know what you did and how it worked out.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socfan12
I used amexzagg. Priced it on their site and took the printout to a dealer I liked. While they didn't match the exact price, I was able to get $500 over invoice. Might've been able to get slightly better than that if I really tried.
Amex zagg is something I have not heard of before. I did look it up, it seems to be very similar to truecar.com. Can people elaborate on their experieces and prices paid?

thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertsalem
Amex zagg is something I have not heard of before. I did look it up, it seems to be very similar to truecar.com. Can people elaborate on their experieces and prices paid?

thanks
a
Old 01-22-2012, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by robertsalem

thanks
Amex Zagg is powered by TrueCar so it should end up at the same price.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

No Zagg, Costco, USAA or other similar dealers in my area.

One more... Have you found the destination fee to be firm and difficult to negotiate? What range has it been?

Any comments on Dealer Prep?

Thanks again!